The Reef Tank banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
NewfieReefer
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys did the tests again today, 0 ammonia and high nitrites, can I add some good seeded live rock and snails and hermits? Also if I do a water change will that speed up the process. Man I am itching to start adding!!!!!!!!!!

CHEERS
:beer:
DERM
:dance:

G

·
you didnt cycle your tank with your lr? or are you just adding some more...id deffently add the lr and wait and see what paremeters are....then if everything is in check after a few days id add a clean up crew

·
Registered
645 Posts
Add the LR. This will help with the filtration of the nitrite. It's your call on adding the clean up crew. Personally I would add a few hermits at this point.

·
NewfieReefer
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I had 50 or so pounds of rock that was out of the water for a few days, thats the stuff I used. I have another 40-50 pounds of good rock with all kinds of growth that I was going to start adding!!!

·
Registered
479 Posts
I thought you shouldn't add anything live when you have high Nitrites????? Rock maybe is OK -but won't the nitrites shock the inverts and cleanup critters????? If you're gonna ad 'em - i'd acclimate for a really long time then.

·
Premium Member
18,603 Posts
Add nothing but the live rock no snails etc. etc Wait till Nitrites are at zero.

·
NewfieReefer
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
OK guys I will wait another few days on the snails and hermits. i picked some up tonight, looks like they will go into the 5 gallon, If I put them in the 25 I might not see them again!!!! I added some smaller rock tonight its starting to fill out. I can't wait to get some of the bigger rocks in there!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
479 Posts
Remember every time you add some of the rock - you will probably experience an adjustment to your water for a week or 2 after........if you are adding "big" rock - make sure it is really well cured or you'll have nitrite spiking all over again.

·
NewfieReefer
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The 40-50 pounds of extra rock that I am adding now is how can I say it good live rock that is in my 25 gallon that has been up and running for a couple of months. I bought the 72 gallon because I out grew my 25 gallon and plus I got the 72 for cheap. All in total I should have about 90-100 pounds of rock in the 72 gallon!! I can almost picture it now, how sweet its going to be!!

·
Registered
479 Posts
Yes -very cool! You'll see the rock get even more "live" in the new system. Post pics as soon as you can so we can see what it looks like!

·
NewfieReefer
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Oh as soon as I get most of it in there I will take a picture. Hey I will take one when I get home. to see the progress!!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts