The Reef Tank banner

VWD 120 RR BB SPS/LPS and who knows what else tank build

55K views 644 replies 25 participants last post by  VWD 
#1 ·
It's been a while since doing a tank build, a really long time. Many things have keep me in the background for sometime now most of it was work related.

The tank is a 120 RR , the component so far are the tank, stand and canopy the canopy maybe coming off it hinder me and setting the lights up.

The lighting will be 1 48 proton 215 watt LED with controller and 2 kessel 160WE with controller. I'm hoping they will support SPS and clams.

The skimmer will be a Life Reef VS3-36 with Mazzei venture ran by a blueline 40 HDX

So far for power heads I have only ordered the Maxspect gyre XF150, I want to see how well they perform

I will also be installing 1/4 chiller as the weather here in the south is hot during the summer months let along the rest of the year. So it was on the list for must have items

I will also be run GFO media and carbon.

The tank will be bare bottom and I will be setting it up base rock and a small amount of live rock.

This is just the start and now I have to wait for everything to arrive .

I will be setting up a QT tank during this time also , it's a 56 gallon I think. I already have it so may as well used it .

See less See more
#5 ·
We have central air, but you have to take in account all the equipment such as pump, lights increase the temp, I have had issue when in Kansas and had to run them.
I have never ran LED's don't know if it will be all that much of an issue, but if it is I won't have to worry

#6 ·
I live in a large house with 2 HVAC units and the tank will be located in the living room. But just from knowing how fast things can warm up. I have had tanks get into the high 80's in the past and used ice containers to trop the temp. That was in a cool basement. It was the pumps lights and so on that added heat to the tanks, Metal halide back then. I'm sure all my threads are around along with my tanks.

#7 ·
I live in a large house with 2 HVAC units and the tank will be located in the living room. But just from knowing how fast things can warm up. I have had tanks get into the high 80's in the past and used ice containers to trop the temp. That was in a cool basement. It was the pumps lights and so on that added heat to the tanks, Metal halide back then. I'm sure all my threads are around along with my tanks.

#9 ·
Thanks, No This one I picked up about a month ago. the price was right and had to get it. Can't wait to get everything. I am really glad I went with the skimmer from LifeReef, Paul and Jeff help me go taller. I was going to go with the 24. I have installed them on other peoples tanks in the past and like them, back then I ran MRC skimmers and like them too.

#10 ·
Good luck Vinnie! I see your going to do your tank the hard way. I first thought you were going to do it conventionally, but now noticed you're going to set it up vertically...way cool!:D Following.
Hack

#15 ·
Vinnie said he was looking for increased water-flo.....Niagra Falls is comming to mind with that design though!:dance:
Hack

#17 ·
Another great build thread from the past!
Congrats Vinnie! Sweet looking stand too :biggrin:

A + with a chiller is if your A/C goes out, you're covered :thumbup:
I ran a West Coast Aquatics 1/4 on my 90 and that thing really
upped the ambient room temp then worked against itself.
Never had an issue in the tank, just cycled more and more.
Went LED on my DT and the WCA chiller sprung 3 leaks before
I got it in, but I never got above 82Âş tops with the room at 78 and a fan on sump.
stayed around 80-81Âş for the biggest part of the summer evenings.

When's Jeff shipping? Surprised you went with the BL pump.
It's highly dependable and has a beefy impeller compared to Reef Octopus WB pumps.
You'll like that pump if you don't mind some noise.

#18 ·
I will give the pump a try, if it's don't work out I will change it out. I just got off the phone with Jeff, He is a busy man, Said he was going to try and get it out Thursday .Said he was going to send some hose along with it.

The only ones I haven't heard from was Reef Breeders. on the ship date , they said it was in stock when I ordered.

#23 ·
Awesome! and you said it was going to be a drag waiting on things :rolleyes:

After getting into home entertainment I decided to research some HD surveillance cameras.
Got a few hits with a youtube address on the ones I was looking into.
So, ok, I checked it out and there were guys doing unboxing videos
of these things. I thought, how crude…then I reflected on the equipment
Jeff shipped, and how professionally packed and protected it was.
I really wish I had documented (on a tripod) unboxing it.
Compared to these 2 I found of a JNS and RO Regal EXT 300 with damaged box
and packing, I think you'll be impressed. I know my sump was double boxed.
My Rythmik F15-HP subwoofer also was double boxed.
For the price you'd expect that. Hopefully yours will be also, and absolutely blow these away.

The RO one 2.5 minutes is plenty to get the idea
the guy with the JNS skimmer did a better presentation

#24 · (Edited)
I's always a drag, whether it for my motorcycles or tanks. My old purple bike I had thinks on order every week for a year. I didn't get to ride it for the first year. I really love that bike LOL. it was a mess, I later pulled the engine out and went with a later model engine with 5 spd . I always say I.m going to sell it until I have a glass of wine, bourbon or a beer.

Attachments

#27 ·
See? The wait just feels long :)

That's a really nice bike! I'd love to get another one myself, I put about 100,000 miles on a Shadow as my daily driver, but it was totaled when someone ran a red light. If I ever move out of town a bit and away from all these crazy drivers I'll get another.

Whiskey

#29 ·
Hey Vinnie, have you looked under the Lifereef warranty tab?
I was just looking at a SRO skimmer it comes with a single 1 yr body warranty
and was rated for 125g. For $50 more the SVS-24 handles 250g with 10yr warranty

but it is 2.5" taller. That might be a deal breaker for some.

#30 · (Edited)
Yeah I know he has a good warranty, For the price and how his skimmers work, you can beat it. He is a super guy to work with and I can't wait to get it , Like I mentioned I have installed them in some customers tanks and always wanted one , but had two many MRC's that where good skimmers. Also the LFS I worked at used his big skimmer on the systems for the store.
Plus you helped when it came to pick the one I ordered and am glad I went taller. So I will try and do a video of the unpacking

Out of everything I'm waiting on the skimmer is the one I want to see the most, even more then the LED lights

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.