The Reef Tank banner

Is this PVC glue safe?

24K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  Peter_ 
#1 ·
#3 ·
I've used the glue you mentioned and my water constantly flow through the tubes. It's been over 2 years now (knocking on wood)and it's still has no leaks what-so-ever. When I peaced it together, put sufficent amount of glue also. As long as you cure it for at least 48 hrs, like Rick O mentioned, it should do fine. If you find any leaks, it's because you missed a spot
HTH

#4 ·
Thanks for the quick replies. I had to redo one section above my pump that had a a small leak, and the guy at Home Depot recommended the solvent, he put alot on the connections so I think it want leak this time. It was only afterwards that I thought about the safety of the product with an aquarium, because I've never used that particular solvent. Thanks again!

[This message has been edited by swfish (edited 12-05-2000).]

G
#5 ·
If you dont let this stuff cure at least 24 hrs before running salt water through it at least use carbon in the tank and have a backup supply of proper saltwater for emergency water changes. Small repair are usually no problem but gluing a whole drain system might put a lot of it in there

------------------
I thought I was me, but we were wrong
email: geeflipr@internetcds.com

G
#6 ·
LMAO Peter
BTW anyone know where they got that name

------------------

[This message has been edited by geedoug (edited 12-06-2000).]

#7 ·
Haha, that's funny, I do know where they got there name. UB40 is the unemployment form number in England. Go figure, a band unemployed! :]

By the way my tank is just being set up so I have no fish or life forms yet just water and I am only repairing that section that leaked when testing my pump.

G
#8 ·
Bingo, we have a winner, unfortunatly we are all out of super aptasia, so you'll have to be content with knowing you knew

Good luck with the tank setup

------------------

#9 ·
The key is to allow the cement to fully cure, otherwise your fish could end up stoned on the glue, leading them to develop a strange affinity towards chocolate and UB40.

I remember hearing about this a couple of years ago. Although, I could be wrong...my memory isn't as good as it use to be...

------------------
I'm no scrub...I let my ATS do all the work!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.