The Reef Tank banner

RIO pumps

3K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  dlemisch 
#1 ·
I have a ? that some might consider a little stupid, but I was wondering what all of these horror stories I keep hearing people mention but not refering to are. I have 2 rio1600 in my 125, and they work EXCELLENT. I also have one in my 58 reef ready and also one as the return from my tidepool. I haven't had a single problem with any of them, and the power they put out is excellent, in fact I've had to shut the nozzle off slightly as it was too much in my 125(blowing everything everywhere!!!) I was wondering if I was setting myself up for trouble, or if too many people just like to have storytime. Hopefully somebody on here can inform me if i'm heading for disaster in my tanks. Thanks.

WAGZ

#2 ·
The problem with RIO's is that they have a tendencey of "burning up" When this happens it can/or will kill everything in your tank. I wouldn't take the chance. When you look at what you have invested into your tanks I would suggest changing pumps. I belive they are not even UL listed!

------------------
Scott

"Life is either a daring adventure or nothing at all"
reef@pacifier.com
"Work like you don't need the money,
Love like you have never been hurt,
And dance like no one is watching"

#3 ·
Wagz, obviously every Rio made doesn't melt down, but I have heard enough horror stories from people who have suffered tank losses due to spectacular failure of the pump. I won't tell you to dump them but I won't take a chance. Compare the cost of your tanks versus the cost of pumps. Your call.
Sorry, misread the question. Spewcifically they have had some failures of the expoxy that insulates the winding from SW, leading to a burnt out pump and the release of lots of noxious compounds plus the attending shock hazards or GFCI trips that further create problems if caught later
------------------
I dont advocate holding marine creatures for ransom but......since you asked

Doug, plank owner
http://hellreef.homestead.com/index.html
www.thereeftank.com/ubb/Forum2/HTML/000001.html

[This message has been edited by Doug1 (edited 02-12-2001).]

#4 ·
Perfect timing on the question!

Well, I never thought it would happen, but it did! TONIGHT! I was sitting around, playing my PS2, and what do I notice? Something is flickering the lights in my house. So I thought... maybe it's just some weird electrical problem that PG&E is having. I was wrong. After cleaning up and walking away from the living room, I noticed some sparks coming from the sump (the stand door was open) so I was like "oh crap!" so I walked over and smelled something burning. Then there was another spark! from the sump! then smoke follows. I pulled the plugs on the Rio 2100 that I have running my skimmer. Man.. does that thing stink!!! So.. right now, the skimmer and pump is sitting in my kitchen sink.

No more Rio's for me after this tank. I still have a rio 3100 running for my current tank circulation. I guess I better hurry and finish up the new tank.

Sorry for the long post.

Since I caught this pretty early, do you think my corals will be ok? they seem fine right now..

#6 ·
Funny you should ask. I've had a Rio 2500 running my skimmer for 1 year and has worked great. Two days ago the Rio burned out, tripped the circuit breaker to the tank and spilled toxins into the tank. I've been doing massive water changes for the last two days and think I've saved the tank. But what a hassle. Who would've thunk it? It's not worth the risk.
Good luck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.