The Reef Tank banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
8K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  bill-e 
#1 ·
I have been thinking about making my tank a little more self sufficient and have been researching these reactors what are the main differences between them besides the physical construction. Is either of the two easier to use than the other, or one of them more efficent? Any comments?

#2 ·
The advantage to a kalk reactor is less $$$$
since you dont have to invest in all the CO2 equipment. Should be fairly straightforward to construct one. See Bill E's website, for Nilsen reactor review and plans
Calcium reactors use CO2 bleed in to lower pH of water circulating in the reactor chamber and dissolve aragonite media. This can replace calcium and whatever trace elements is in the media and is popular for large clam and SPS tanks.
Either one should be fairly maint free once setup and dialed in. Kinda depends on whether you like to build stuff or spend $$$$$

#4 ·
Originally posted by ATLANTIS:
Calcium Reactor 101:

• A calcerous substance Aragonite, koralith etc..) is put into a reaction chamber, usually an acrylic tube 3" to 6" in diameter.
  • Water from the aquarium is passed through this chamber.
  • A recirculation pump is used to make the water that enters the reactor make many, many trips though the chamber before returning to the aquarium.
  • Carbon Dioxide gas is added to the chamber to reduce the pH of the water in the chamber.
  • The CO2 flow rate is regulated with a needle valve and measured with a bubble counter - CO2 bubbles through a small water filled vessel and the bubble rate determines the flow.
  • The acidic water slowly dissolves the substrate releasing the Calcium Carbonate and trace elements that are bound up in the substrate.
  • The Calcium laiden effluent then returns to the tank, supplying it with Calcium, buffer compounds like Carbonate and Bicarbonate, and trace elements. The theory is that by using long-dead coral skeletons as a substrate, you will automatically supply those elements needed by living corals.
    [/list=a]

Kalk Reactor 101:
    • Kalkwasser and PO/DI water are mixed in a reaction chamber, usually an acrylic tube 3" to 6" in diameter.
    • The mixing is sometimes performed by a magnetic stirring device
    • Small amounts of this mixture are pumped into the aquarium system using a dosing mechanism or gravity feed
      [/list=a]

------------------------------------------------------

Calcium reactor drawbacks:
      • pH may be lowered by affluent
      • complex C02 System

Kalk Reactor drawbacks:
      • pH may rise (especially with failures)
      • magnetic stirrer may fail

#5 ·
Kalk Reactor drawbacks:

pH may rise (especially with failures)
magnetic stirrer may fail
While it's true that the pH will rise, failure of a kalk reactor can only happen if either the mixing device fails, or the supply pump fails. In either case, the pH will not rise. If the mixing device fails, the limewater solution will be weak. If the supply pump fails, there will be none supplied to your tank.

With the design I describe on my page, you use a small power head to mix vise an expensive magnetic stirer, and if you use aquarium quality kalk, should get at least a year out of the impeller.

[ 05-11-2001: Message edited by: bill-e ]

#7 ·
Well I think I will try to build a kalk reactor I'm more of a builder than a spender, (although buying new toys is fun). I have read Bill-e's website and thats what made me wonder what the difference between them was anyways. thanks for the detailed reply's everyone.

#8 ·
Look, what we really need to do here is make two claymation figures and put them both in a boxing ring to fight it out.

This way the winner can be clearly determined.

O.k., now does anyone with kids out there have any play-doe they could spare?

#9 ·
You know that you may eventually need to upgrade to a Co2 based reactor especially if you add loads of calcium hungry animals.

Lots of folks use both and claim that's the best way to go.

Even though I love gadgets, it seems that the people I know running Co2 reactors are constantly fiddling with the bubble count, effluent pH, and it's a constant battle. With the Kalk reactor, it's pretty much set and forget for 7 days. I put 4 very heaping tbls in my reactor every sunday, and that's it. maybe once every couple of months, I siphon out any residue...but that's it.

Use the multipurpose glue (PVC/ABS/CPVC) and primer because it bonds the acrylic/pvc just fine. I've had no leaks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.