The Reef Tank banner

SG.... 2nd post

809 views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  tdwyatt 
#1 ·
Sorry for posting twice...didn't know but I actually hit reply unstead of Post new. Anyways..... I'm getting my LR tomorrow so I checked my SG...Which is at 1.021. After reading this post I decided that I would try and bump it up some by mixing high concentration of salt to water mix. After several attempts, of adding approx. 8 gals of water and around 6 cups of Salt...my SG is still at 1.021. What is going on? I'm worried that I'm doing something wrong. May be a stupid question but, does temp. have anything to do with readings of SG???
On a darker note then this. My Rio 1500 pump stopped working tonight. It has worked fine since I purchased it last month. Tonigh I shut it off to plug it into a power strip and now it won't turn back on. I did ride the short bus to school so, I've I'm doing something wrong, PLEASE tell me. I'd love to have my pump start back up.

#2 ·
Yes there is a correlation between temp and SG readings, most hydrometers or facsimiles are calibrated for arounf 76 deg F. There is a compensation formula that escapes me, but most refractometers are self compensating.
FWIW most salt mixes will yeild approx 1.023 at a rate of half cup per gallon

#3 ·
I just read the post on rio pumps posted a while back ago. Interesting Info. Since my Rio is a 2500 model, not the 1500 like I originally posted, this is probably what happened to mine. Minister of Finance isn't going to be too happy when I tell her I need a new pump..... :-(

#4 ·
Rather than adding a brine solution (high solute concentration seawater), it would be a good idea to mix some fresh synthetic seawater and aereate it for 24 hours and bring it to the temp of your aquarium system. Check the salinity again, then add standard salinity seawater to your sump instead of freshwater to replace your evaporative losses. This initially does not change the salinity, but as the water evaporates from your system (and leaves the salt behind), your salinity will gradually go up on a daily basis. Keep adding SW until you reach your target salinity, then convert back to using FW (hopefully RO/DI water) to replace your evaporative losses. This will correct your salinity rather quickly, so gauge your tank's salinity 4 times during the day (every 6 hours) when you start to see where you are at a point in time. If you find that your salinity is achieved at a particular time during the day, remove enough SW from the sump at this time to bring the level back to your original sump volume mark or float valve level. Continue from that point to replace the evaporative losses with fresh water, and check salinity once a day for a few days, then once a week thereafter.

Hope this helps.

#5 ·
One more thing, trash the Rio...they are all junk, regardless of the model, regardless of the age. Any company that will not consider the safety of the application of their product is more than negligent, they are outright dishonest, and should be completely boycotted. I have a friend on AOL that lost his garage to one of these pumps, in addition to the innumerous complaints of their lack of durability. This is an unsafe product, and I strongly recommend that you replace and discard the pump you have. If you do keep it, only use it to mix SW for short periods of time, then in a safe place and never unattended.

[ 05-10-2001: Message edited by: tdwyatt ]

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.