The Reef Tank banner

question for Horge (or anyone else)

2K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  Rick O 
#1 ·
I got these two frags nearly two months ago. Since then I have seen very little change in their appearance. In fact, the only change I have seen is at the base where they were glued to the rock they seem to be spreading out and growing onto the rock. The Hydnaphora is about 8 inches under VHO's and the Pocillapora is about 18 inches under. Both are in moderate to strong current. Should I have seen more growth in this period?

Thanks, Rick

[This message has been edited by Rick O (edited 12-04-2000).]

See less See more
G
#2 ·
Rick Horge is on a sabbatical for a month or so, and I dont know squat about SPS but based on ehat I've hears and seen this is prolly typical for SPS under VHO. Hopefully someone with more experience with these particular species can give you a more definitive answer. No matter what their are a lot of variables so your milage may vary

------------------
I thought I was me, but we were wrong
email: geeflipr@internetcds.com

#3 ·
Its normal for an SPS frag to plate before showing upward (branching) growth. Slow growth can be attributed to (a) low alk levels, (b) not enough light intensity, (c) high phosphate levels, (d) all of the above. Of course it could very well be that you have two species that happen to be slow growers.

------------------
Jim Fox
http://www.nycas.com/jfox

In the sea of life, you're just a minnow...you live your life, insecure...

#5 ·
Hi Rick,

Like Doug said, I'm on leave (this moment of fun is a rarity).

Jim's absolutely correct, any ramose/branching colony will seek to secure its anchorage/base before committing to top-heavy branchiness.
Nice frags.

**Though I'll try to sneak in once in a rare while (like now), I'll only be able to start doing you all some serious damage this January.**

Stay salty, TRT'ers!

horge

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.