The Reef Tank banner

UVS Advice

900 views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Doug1 
#1 ·
Thanks to recent Ick outbreak, am considering buying a UV sterilizer. Can anyone tell me the Pros and Cons on these?

#2 ·
Unfortunately, the ciliate protozoan (Cryptocaryon irritans) that causes saltwater "Ich" goes through a number of life-stages, and only at one point is the parasite potentially zappable in the water with UV.

There's evidence that the parasite can complete its life cycle on the fish: in such a case, a UV sterilizer alone --which treats only the water, would be nearly useless.

The accepted treatments for ich are isolation in hyposalinity or freshwater baths (which causes many attached 'cysts' to fall off, for disposal) followed by isolation. The isolation is really for removal of all fish from the display, to starve any parasites in the display (they need fish hosts, or die --the recommended 'starvation' period varies from author to author, from 7 days to 72 days).

Symptomatic relief can be had by continuously medicating with garlic-laced food ALL the fish. (Theoretically, if done properly, and very long term, you accomplish isolation without ever removing the fish, killing the ich)

hth
horge

PS: I know I'm being sketchy, but when you type out the details so many times... Really, I'd be happy to, but only if you haven't come across the same already and elsewhere

PPS: I've been informally trying other essential oils, and it doesn't seem like garlic has a corner on causing the ejection of parasites (BUT garlic does have the huge benefit of antibacterial, antiviral and antifungal action to offer alongside).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.