The Reef Tank banner
1K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  Doug1 
#1 ·
I currently don't put anything in my tank, except to top off the water and do a monthly water change. Yet, I read about people using B-Ionic, or Restore, etc and most everyone uses kalk and talks about calcium levels. Until now I have assumed that this was for hard corals. I only intended to keep softies for some time. Do I need to concern myself with my calcium level, or adding kalk, or anything else ?

------------------
------------------
I was sure that anything this expensive and addicting was illegal... I keep waiting for the ATF to kick my door down and grab my protein skimmer...

My 120 Pseudo-Reef

#2 ·
B-Ionic calcium buffer is a 2-part additive that will easily maintain your alkalinity and calcium levels. It's simple to use and not very expensive for smaller tanks (around $25 for 1 gallon of each part). It also contains other trace elements so using it will not require the addition of anything else (except food, of course). For larger tanks a calcium reactor is more economical.

Here is a link to their website: http://www.esvco.com/

Rick

#3 ·
If you're not going to be keeping hard corals, then don't worry about it. Although, in my case: When I ordered LR from tbsaltwater there were some small colonies of various hard corals on the LR. All the other coral I keep is soft, but I still add Red Sea brand calcium additive about twice a month. In recent months this has definitely helped the hard coral grow.

#4 ·
Even soft coral tanks will benefit from regular testing of calc and alk and the use of a good 2 part additive. Alkilinity is a measurement of the systems buffer reserves to offset the tendancy to experience pH drop due to CO2 from respiration and acids formed in the breakdown of waste matter. Also your coralline algae growth will depend on Calc and Alk within a narrow range and some corals like Xenia prefer a higher pH. So ya you should keep the params within range even on a soft coral tank, it should be easier and cheaper with the 2 part compared to the same tank full of SPS and clams

------------------
I dont advocate holding marine creatures for ransom but......since you asked:)
Doug, plank owner
http://hellreef.homestead.com/index.html
www.thereeftank.com/ubb/Forum2/HTML/000001.html

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.