The Reef Tank banner

lighting question that seems to baffle

733 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Doug1 
#1 ·
I have a standard 20 gallon tank with an eclipse head that i would like
to transform into my first reef environment. I recently ordered a
smartlite retrofit kit for the eclipse from custom sea life(55w).I know
the corals I can keep will be limited. Can anyone help advise me on
which ones to try first in these less than perfect lighting conditions?
cincerely reef ignorant,
verbal

#2 ·
Verbal-

You are right, the corals you can keep will be limited, but fun nonetheless! I would say that you should be able to keep mushrooms and polyps with no problem. It is a stretch but possibly some type of soft coral, such as a leather may also work in there. The leather may be too much of a stretch, though, so wait for some more people to post before you go out and buy any toadstools
Is there any way that you can get more lights in that hood? Either way you'll have a fun time! Good luck!

Drew

------------------
"Im learnding"
"Thats my sandbox, I can't go in the deep-end"

#3 ·
Is that a single 55w PC? If there is anyway to add another you'd have no trouble keeping most soft corals. If you started with nice frags now by the time you are ready for a bigger tank you'd have a head start.
This brings up one of my pet peeves, in view of the popularity of nano reefs why eclipse doesnt off a reef friendly series of hoods set up for nice lighting and dump the biowheel in favor of an detacthable overflow box affair that will accomodate the pump for a bakpak,remora or prism skimmer

------------------
I dont advocate holding marine creatures for ransom but......since you asked:)
Doug, plank owner
http://hellreef.homestead.com/index.html
www.thereeftank.com/ubb/Forum2/HTML/000001.html

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.