The Reef Tank banner

wavemaking and pumps

847 views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  ivet 
#1 ·
the sea swirls are just too much for me. I'm just gonna go with 3-4 small pumps and a wavemaker. I have so much rock coming i know i can hide them in great spots.

I heard the rio pumps have a hard time and make noise with the soft start feature. I would like to hear what brand powerheads you'all are using with your wavemakers. Also, i'd like to know what gph rating you're using for this. I don't want to overdo it.

There also is the surge option, but i should have thought ahead and drilled for that. i don't want pvc hanging in from the top. What are the pro's of surge compared to a good wavemaker setup?

I can do my wavemaker setup for less than $170, the sea swirls would be more like $320.

thank you so much!

G
#2 ·
Ivet the MAxijet powerheads seem to be the hands down choice for wavemakers. Other people report mixed success with the Hagens.
On the other hand the Sea Swhirls while costing more will eliminate all those power heads in the tank, not everyone has enough room to hide them. They are capable of flowrates much higher than any powerhead on the market and seem to be extremly reliable. My goal is to have a no powerhead tank.

------------------
I thought I was me, but we were wrong
email: geeflipr@internetcds.com

#3 ·
Ivet,

I have a poorman's wavemaker consisting of two MaxiJet 900s set up on alternating timers. They are set on four hour intervals but that's only because that's all of the little "on/off" tabs I had. The MJ's are totally silent and have never failed to start for me.

Rick

#4 ·
For a comparison of surgers verses wavemakers, check out my response to the "water motion poll" on this message board (Sorry, but I'm not about to retype all of that again).

------------------
I'm no scrub...I let my ATS do all the work!

#6 ·
ivet,

Check out my review of the Aquarium Systems "Natural Wave" wavemaker in the Article Contest thread. You can find it online for as low as $52 (last time I checked). It will do 3 pumps. of you want more, the Lavoie tech makes a similar product for about $20 more.

------------------
Bill Esposito
bespo@cereal.mv.com
JAqua for the AquaController 2
http//cereal.mv.com/jaqua.html
My Reef Page
http//cereal.mv.com/reef
The box said "Use Win 95 or better", I chose better so I run OS/2!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.