The Reef Tank banner

WANT SUMP IN BASEMENT?????

15K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Jnicho 
#1 ·
went over a guys house to pick up a piece of equipment and say his 110 gallon tank and he had it plimbed to his basement. it was so quite where the tank was set up it was great. in the basement he had (i know there is some kind of name for this system but i dont know it) the overflow dumping into a large rubbermaid tub in this tub he had his heaters and protien skimmer then the water flowed thru a pipe to another tank that had some kind of algae with a light to help it grow and then a pump to return the water to the tank. I WANT TO MAKE ONE O THESE. is there any web site to help or anything i should watch out for. i aldreay purchased a pump that handles 2400 gph with a vertical climb of max 15 ft i should have about 900 gph in return. i also want to add a durso overflow to existing skimmer...any thoughts or other ideas

woow that was winded but wanted to get all info out

thanks

#2 ·
Originally posted by cafamore:
went over a guys house to pick up a piece of equipment and saw his 110 gallon tank and he had it plumbed to his basement. it was so quite where the tank was set up it was great. in the basement he had (i know there is some kind of name for this system but i dont know it) the overflow dumping into a large rubbermaid tub in this tub he had his heaters and protien skimmer then the water flowed thru a pipe to another tank that had some kind of algae with a light to help it grow and then a pump to return the water to the tank. I WANT TO MAKE ONE OF THESE. is there any web site to help or anything i should watch out for. i aldreay purchased a pump that handles 2400 gph with a vertical climb of max 15 ft i should have about 900 gph in return. i also want to add a durso overflow to existing skimmer...any thoughts or other ideas

woow that was winded but wanted to get all info out

thanks

#3 ·
The pump that you purchased... is it 2400pgh @ 15ft? or is it 2400 @ 0ft?

As for the plumbing.. I don't know if there's any "design" out there. How about just as the guy that you met that has the system?

The tank next to it w/ algea = refugium

Do you have your tank setup right now? What's your system like? Personally, I think that if you don't have a large system, it might not be worth it to do all that plumbing.

#5 ·
I don't know if this will be helpful or more confusing, but here goes.

This is what I have done to get all my equipment and sump in the basement (and yes it makes the display tank very clean and quiet this way).

I've labeled all sorts of stuff in the image to try and help explain what's going on because there is a lot of PVC!!! It's really pretty simple though. Water from the overflows on the display tank comes in via the 1 1/2" pipe that dumps into the filter box on the left side of the sump (it's works like a sock and allows me to run various media there with lots of flow over it). There are no baffles on this setup as the return pump is on the far right side and it's far enough away from the inlet and skimmer that no bubbles make it over there. The return goes back to the tank in 3/4" pipe which then splits into two 1/2" returns at the display tank. The fuge sits right on top of the sump. It's fed by a little pump (modified power head actually) that pumps water into the left side via 1/2" pipe. The fuge is drilled on the right side and has a 1" overflow which dumps out right by the return pump (I figured maybe more critters would get to the display this way).

You see quite a bit of additional stuff/plumbing in the photo since I have a kalk doser, auto topoff, and PVC DIY skimmer.

Anyway here is the photo so you can try to make sense out of it all:

You can find a some more info on how the topside (IE. display tank) is plumbed in my 125 build thread:

http://www.thereeftank.com/forums/f6/another-build-thread-125rr-113487.html?highlight=build

Good luck figuring it all out...shout if I can help in any way.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.