The Reef Tank banner

Do-It-Yourself Advice

566 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Doug1 
#1 ·
I am undergraduate Biology major, and not surprisingly, I don't have a hugh chunk of cash to invest in a system. So I am trying to cut a few corners without jeopardizing the
systems integrity to much. I am hoping to purchase a 70 gallon tank within a few weeks.
I wanted to know if there are any "Do-it-Yourself" project guides for creating a stand strong enough to hold a 70 gallon tank. Also, I do have a descent base in electrical work and are hoping to construct my lighting for the tank as well. I was thinking about two VHO flourescents and two 175 watt Metal Halides both with ballasts, seperate circuits on timers and possibly a dimmer. I was wondering if anyone has attempted this and could give me advice on a possible procedure? Where I could get these materials for the least price (online, homedepot, etc.)
I am more interested in a DIY procedure for my lighting Im sure some of you guys have done this
Thanks a bunch

#2 ·
bunch of sites, Doug prolly has a few more links, but this is a good one

Oz diy site

And Brian at Atlantis Aquatics has a good set of links as well:

Atlantis Aquatic/Brian Cogner/dyi

There are quite a few specialty dyi sites, depending on what you are looking for, I know Sanjay's home page has a ton of lighting stuff, as well as the stuff at Livadisland, use your browser and do a search, it will bring up a ton of stuff.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.