The Reef Tank banner
943 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Deeppump 
#1 ·
Hi Brett,
Congratulations on your rock and sand!

Your rock should cycle the tank just fine but, as mentioned before, a piece of fresh, peeled shrimp will give it a boost. A piece of shrimp might also bring out any stray Mantis shrimps that came with your rock. Its better to find those now than after you put in some $$$$ animals!

I don't know about the HD MH lights. I see these posts occasionally on the net and it seems that most of these type lights are designed for outdoor home lighting and the spectrum is all wrong for coral growth(good for algae, though
) and too yellow for tank aesthetics. Its just hard to skimp on good lighting, though some of these bulbs might be ok for a sump/refugium.

Good luck and enjoy!
Dick

See less See more
#2 ·
OK let me take a stab at this, keep in mind, I havent played with chemistry since the 60's <G>
One quart ammonia added to 240 gal water = 1:960 ratio. Even if you figure household ammonia is <10% thats a yield of 1:9600 round it off to 1:10000. Nows the fun part cause i suck at math, but if you multiply that figure by 100 to get 100:1000000, doesnt that yield a reading of 100 ppm. Since detectable ammonia is bad and levels over 3 ppm are disasterous, you tell me.
I understand the theory, and like I said in the old days a little ammonium chloride was added to feed the nitrifying bacteria but the amount was minute compared to quarts, not to mention its not household stuff with gawd knows what additives to make it stink pretty. Is this making sense, hope so

#3 ·
Well, my rock and sand is finally here. I placed the rock as best as I could for both beauty and water flow. I waited for the particles to settle and WOW, it looks so cool. Everything is just as great as I expected it to be. The lights on all that rock are awesome. My kudos to Tampa Bay Live Rock.

I was at Home Depot last night and saw something that made me curious. They sell MH bulbs for about 30 bucks. They do not list their color temperature, but they are made by Phillips. Does anybody know if I could use these. Is this another example of my LFS taking advantage of me?

Lastly, concerning my first post regarding ammonia, I have pulled out my old chem books and I see that too much could be fatal, and I am not going to do it for fear of being chastised until the day I die, but I still do not understand why some ammonia could not be added to feed those bacteria. Frankly, it will probably always seem logical to me.

Brett

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.