The Reef Tank banner

What is in my live rock?

700 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  mini mee 
#1 ·
I just bought a new piece of live rock today..when I first put it in a few (2) black hairy tentacles were coming out of one spot...then they went back in and we haven't seen them since..what do you think this is?
Confused! Tarah

#2 ·
*Bristley* looking black tentacles? Could be a brittle star. Try blowing some brine shrimp by that rock with a turkey baster and if it's still alive (and it's a brittle star) I'll bet you'll see those "tentacles" again.

How big were they?

And if it is a brittle star, that's kewl. They are great additions to your tank as they are good scavengers and will add to your clean up crew.

How long has your tank been set up, what is the salinity level, etc.? Info about your set up helps us help you

~Alice

------------------
Reefkeeping is my life; I can't afford a hobby too! My specs: www.thereeftank.com/ubb/Forum2/HTML/000029.html

#3 ·
Hi Tarah
I don't have any idea,black hairy tentacles could be a night time critter.

Try a night time peak, wait a while after lights out then with some dim light try to see if you can get a better look to see if more of it comes out of the hole.

Could be a filter feeder of sorts maybe someone else may have a guess.

good luck
mini mee

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.