The Reef Tank banner
2K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  cwa46 
#1 ·
I was wondering what type of filter you guys think is best for a reef. I have a 125, and am currently running 3 emperor 400 on it and a skimmer. It's not reef ready, but can slap an sos prefilter on it. I am wanting to make this into a full blown reef, have approx 175 lbs of live rock and wish to find out what you think the best filtration system would be to keep nitrates at min as emperor's are basically impossible at doing this. Thanks

WAGZ

#4 ·
Originally posted by wagnutz69:
I It's not reef ready, but can slap an sos prefilter on it.

WAGZ
I have an Amiracle overflow and an SOS on seperate tanks. The Ameracle is over three years old and it has gone air bound once in that time. The SOS is three months old and has gone air bound three times and I caught it before it went air bound a few more. I would skip the SOS and go with an Amiracle or similar.

------------------
Art
My Aquariums

#5 ·
A little follow up to some questions that were asked...I have 2 Rio 2500 pumps in the tank, the skimmer is a cheapy seaclone but just went out and purchased a Titan, figured the LPS was just trying to make a sale, but asked two of my fellow reef junkies, they said it works great....plus got a heck of a deal on it compared to online stores. The emperors will be going bye bye as the LPS told me the same thing, producing nitrates in the tank...and to let the skimmer and the live rock do all the work. Let me know if there is anything else u need to know. Thanks again everybody.

WAGZ

#6 ·
WAGZ,
I agree that you have enough rock to do without mechanical filtration along with your skimmer. The efficiency of the rock increases with maturity as the bacteria and pod population multiplies. When did you set this tank up and what skimmer do you have?
The media in the Emperor's trap detritus and other organic matters which in turn leads to nitrates. The filter media also traps plankton and other micro life that is beneficial to your tank.
Removing the Emperors will reduce the water flow and circulation in the tank. What other pumps do you have going for circulation?
Dick

#7 ·
I keep a mag 300 on my 20 gal and take out the filters and use it like a PH just for water circ. Dont know a whole lot about the Emp 400 but can you just use them in this method and use them for circulation?

Lilolme

any ?'s email me if you like

#8 ·
Good point , remove the media and use it for circulation only. It also gives you a place to insert carbon should the need arise.
I have used an Amiracle overflow and while it was trouble free its limited to about 400 gph. The SOS is it dependant on a power head venturi sucking the air out to start the siphon. Life Reef makes a U tube type Overflow in a dual model that handles higher flows. You are gonna want between 800-1200 gph return unless you want a lot of powerheads in the main tank.

------------------
I dont advocate holding marine creatures for ransom but......since you asked:)
Doug, plank owner
http://hellreef.homestead.com/index.html
www.thereeftank.com/ubb/Forum2/HTML/000001.html

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.