The Reef Tank banner

Does anyone know where to get Ocellaris clown pairs?

2K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  WindWalker 
#1 ·
It seems like ocellaris clowns are abundantly available from any LFS, but not pairs. Does anyone know where to get Ocellaris clown pairs (Amphiprion ocellaris)? The reason that I am asking is that it seems like most livestock sources are selling the other types in pairs. For example, I am finding that True Perculas (Amphiprion percula) are commonly available in pairs.

Thank you,
-Rob

#2 ·
You should buy a good book. *s*

These clowns have the ability to change there sex. The term is eluding me and I don't feel like going to get my book.
But,
If you buy a small one and a large one, the large one will morph into a female.
I did just this and now have a very bonded pair.

Good Luck.

[ 05-07-2001: Message edited by: WindWalker ]

#4 ·
You are better off just buying two from your LFS. Like it was said before me, they can change sex, so in the end you should end up with a pair. When you buy clownfish online, many times they arrive very stressed and easily come down with Brooklynella. Even if they don't, chances are pretty good that all the stress will harm their "bond" anyway. Either way will eventually yield the same results given proper surroundings. I would get them from your LFS, unless they don't carry the species you want. Just my opinion.

Drew

P.S. - Don't feel silly for asking! Just look back a few months (or days
!) at all the questions I asked! It's the best way to find things out!

[ 05-07-2001: Message edited by: Drewman ]

#5 ·
Rob,
Its not a silly question at all! A. percula and A. ocellaris may change sexes but thats not always a sure thing. All are born males but it is usual that the dominant fish morphs into the female gender and becomes the boss! the two species are very similar and it is possible to get one of each without knowing it. There is some dispute as to whether they are true different species or variants of the same. I would suggest getting a copy of Joyce Wilkerson's Clownfish book if you are going to get clowns.
Mated pairs are sold, usually for high prices, and proven breeding pairs are even more $$$.
Never feel bad about asking questions; If I knew all the answers I would never have to ask. The more I learn about this hobby, the more ignorant I become!

Dick

#7 ·
Don't feel silly.

I ask a bazillion questions and still do. Hopefully learning a little more all the time. I bought a read a few books, and continue to spend hours during the week looking at Reef web sites. It's a great hobby.

Good luck with your fish!!

~Jeff~

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.