The Reef Tank banner
2K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  Doug1 
#1 ·
Well, I decided on a tank size. I think I'm going to get a 150 gal. It seems like the more I learn about this hobby, though, the less I'm sure of. I have a few main questions. What is a sump? I hear about it all the time, but have no idea what it does. What is an overflow tank? If you have a big enough filter, can you run more than one tank off of it? Such as the main tank and the quarantine tank to keep the water the same in both? My biggest confusion is live rock. I understand what it is and what it does, but how much will I need for a 150 gal tank? Also, when I first start the tank, how much LR will need to be in it? I've heard of people adding a pound or two at a time. Is this replacement rock they are adding, or do you not need very much in the tank to begin with? Any help would be much appreciated. Excuse the pun, but I'm starting to feel like I'm in over my head.

See less See more
#2 ·
before you do anything serious, get yourself a good book. This is what the others have told me when I came here asking the same questions you did. Expect to spend at least $3000 your first year with the tank size you specified. I have spent more and I don't even have any livestock yet, only 300lbs live rock.

A sump is a tank behind or below the display tank in which the water will overflow to. It is where you put your protein skimmer, heaters, return pump, etc...it is your main filtration system other than your live rock/deep sand bed. here is my sump (i have 2 because I am spoiled, my second one will grow caulerpa to help reduce nitrates)

this is an overflow tank. the water overspills into a closed corner of the tank, take a look:

This website also helped me before I started reading books:
http://www.thereefweb.com/starting_a_foolproof_marine_tank.htm

[This message has been edited by ivet (edited 02-08-2001).]

#3 ·
Heh,Larry Jackson at the Louisville MACNA gave estimates for setting up and maintaining reef aquaria. His setup costs were at $50/gal US (based on total purchases of equipment and startup supplies, LR, salt, etc., less critters...) and his estimation of maintenance costs was $2/gal US, something to think about... I feel that a good system can be set up for less, there is a guy that does occasional talks on#reefs that sets up ghetto tanks at a really cheap, diy-based project, but I feel realistically that for the average tank, $40 to $50 total setup costs per gal is prolly right, based on how handy you are (and your desire to "Do-It-Yourself") As many steps of the setup require time, use a budget to control you speed of setup, and stick to it, then there is less chance of "sticker shock", especially if you have a spouse...

------------------
Tom <"{{{{>(
(TDWyatt)
Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -Plato

#4 ·
Welcome!
You question about whether or not 2 tanks can be plumbed to one sump, specifically a hospital/quarintine and the display. You could plumb them both to the sump, BUT...
you will want to make sure that you can 'isolate' the quarentine easily so that whatever you are treating does not migrate to your display tank via the sump. Also, from what I have read here, if you are going to have corals in the display, you don't want your hospital tank to leak any coral-killing medications via the sump.

I am sure that Alice and the others can expand a little more...I am just excited that I had a possible answer!

------------------
"Nothing good ever happens fast in a reef tank."

#5 ·
Wrasse Man, that is a very good point. Linking the Q tank to the main kind defeats the purpose. I twould be nice if you could slowly bleed tank water into the Q tank at the end of quarintine cycle but interchange isnt a good idea

------------------
I dont advocate holding marine creatures for ransom but......since you asked:)
Doug, plank owner
http://hellreef.homestead.com/index.html
www.thereeftank.com/ubb/Forum2/HTML/000001.html

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.