The Reef Tank banner

Is there a way to sex a Banggai Cardinal?

4K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  MarieK 
#1 ·
Hello All,

Is there a way to sex a Banggai Cardinal? I have a young one. I should have bought a Mated Pair, but I didn't. Now I am wondering if there is a way to tell what sex I currently have so I can get the opposite.

Let me know if there's hope.

Thanks,

Steven

------------------
pegasis@concentric.net

#2 ·
Your best luck is to wait until the one you have is grown up. It's a lot easier to tell that way. Then when he/she is grown up, put another one in.. if he chases the new one around.. then... take it out and exchange it. That's my take on this one.

Pik

#3 ·
It is possible to sex them but takes alot of time staring at the fish in the store. The males have a rounder jaw as percieved from the side- from the bottom of their mouth to the bottom of the chin, they also tend to have a longer caudal fin(the second from the head). The third deciding factor is to watch behavior in the tank at the LFS the males tend to stake out a territory and chase other fish from it(more than the females). At my LFS it always seem the females way outnumber the males. The final test is when you bring them home as the previous post mentions but then it may be hard to return the fish to the LFS. The EPARC.com(Eastern Pa aaquarium reef club) site has a nice article with pictures showing the difference.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.