The Reef Tank banner
1K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  SparkyFish 
#1 ·
Hi,
Im new to this board just wanted to say hi to all those reefers out there. I have a question about this crab, im not sure what it is. Its fairly hairly looking and is kind of a fijian live rock color with blackish-greenish legs. I will get a picture next I see it, it dissapeared like a minute ago after I posted this. Any help would be greatly appriciated! SparkyFish

#3 ·
I always have liked the antics of hermit crabs but through research and other hobbyist comments I have less desire for them in my aquarium.
They will kill snails if they need a shell to their liking and will bother corals as well. If I was to keep any hermit crab it would be the red scarlet hermit crab and only a couple in my 80 gallon reef.
They will kill alot of your DSB infauna(critters). Just a few points of interest. Johnny

#4 ·
Welcome to TRT, SparkyFish!

I take it this is a hitchhiker crab? One that was a freebie with the LR you bought? Boy, they can terrorize your tank. I'd like to tell you that I've got living proof, but the *&^*^ ate the first fish I bought.

If it is a hitchhiker, there is an thread with great pix back in the archives. You all remember that thread? How can we help SparkyFish find that?

#5 ·
Hi SparkyFish,
Welcome to The Reef Tank!

I also caution against keeping such crabs in a reef tank. They are omnivores and well equipped to capture prey, including your fish!

One way to capture it would be to use a glass tumbler, bait it with a piece of raw shrimp, lean it upright against a rock, and wait for the crab to enter the glass. They have a hard time getting back out.
My recommendation is to remove it before it causes any damage.
Dick

#6 ·
#7 ·
Hi all sorry didnt get that pic its dissapeared into the mits of my live rock again and haven seen it in about 3-4 days dont know where it is but when I got back from the FS I go to saw one that looked like it and it was so kind of hermit cant remeber what its name was but I got a new fish and a shrimp anyways so, Flame Angel and a False Cleaner for the second time.

Thanks for all the info
SparkyFish

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.