The Reef Tank banner
2K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  Martinwinte 
#1 ·
OK before anyone says it I know that this is not the long term solution, with that said does it work? My tank is about 5 weeks old and I am doing 25% water changes weekly with distilled water, readings are good, lights are 1 month old, nothing dead in tank, etc. I know that my tank is still in it's break in phase and will take some time to balance but I hate looking at this stuff. It grows as fast as I can get it out. Anyway is this chemical to kill cyano really reef safe?

#2 ·
Superficially yes but in the long run no, bacteria can develop resistance to antibiotics that are used short term allowing the survivors to become resistant. I really recomend against it. Look in archives there are at least a couple good cyano threads

#5 ·
A friend of mone used some of that stuff on his 10 gallon FOWLR... his was probably a month or so old and the stuff did work, however all the purple coraline algae on the rocks turned white.
As long as he's been using it the cyano hasn't come back... about 3 months now, but his tank looks pretty white with all that bleached coraline.

#6 ·
I had an outbreak in mine, still have a little, a few weeks ago. I also considered this, but stayed away from it and decided to let it work itself out. You didn't mentioned how big your tank is, but if cyno becomes a large problem for you and not just a patch here and there, consider a queen conch. They eat it up. They have pretty good appetites though, so you have to feed it after its taken care of the little problem for you. All of this if from reading many threads on here and other boards, so no personal experience. I just watched the feeding and did a water change and let it grow itself out. You may also want to get some caulerpa or other macro algae as this will compete with the cyno. Trim it back every week so the new growth will be stimulated. This will zap the nutrients that the cyno is using.

#7 ·
Sdbdrz,
I would not recommend dosing the tank with chemical potions. The tank is in its infancy and fighting to gain balance in its ecosystem. Cyano and other algae blooms are an expected part of the maturation process and are usually best dealt with by conservative means. Most of these algae blooms will fade in time with good husbandry.
Good circulation(make sure you have some circulation directed at the substrate; Cyano does no like water circulation is an old adage); avoiding overfeeding; skimming and Kalkwasser drip (the Kalk helps bind Phospate ions for export via the skimmer); water changes, etc., will ordinarily work over time.
HTH
Dick

#8 ·
Thank you all very much for your input. I will not be using this product. The last thing I want to do is disturb this fragile immature ecosystem. I guess I just wanted to find out if it was truly "reef safe". This is why I am here and why I post, I want to learn, learn, learn. I spend alot of time reading books on the hobby and old threads but I had not run across anything about this product. I any event I shiponed off the cyano again and did a 25% water change. If nothing else this hobby will teach you patience. Thank you again for your input.

#10 ·
I used some stuff once (erase) for 3 doses... then I got thinking that it might destroy my "Good" bact. also and quit using it (plus I saw absoutly NO change in my tank). On the bright side with cyno you fight, clean, do water changes,ect for a while without seeing any results then one day POOF the cyno is gone (or so it seems anyway). It will go away just hang in there.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.