The Reef Tank banner

Request suggestions for filtration w/this tank?

2K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  BrianinOhio 
#1 ·
THANKS FOR PREVIOUS HELP...OK...I have about decided on a 55gal for a beginner's setup. I am not interested in growing larger at this point, so I will use this size to see if I am capable of keeping the creatures alive. I am not interested in killing any, nor am I interested in throwing money out the door because of my inadequate knowledge. ANYWAY, THE QUESTION IS: What filtration do you suggest for this type of tank? Since it is relatively small, I am not sure anything outside of fish will be beneficial at this point...any suggestions for corals that would be ok with 55gal? I will probably go with a couple of powerheads at this point also...any other suggestions will be helpful...still reading

#2 ·
Hi Brian,

For filtration I would use the ol' live sand, live rocks, and skimmer set up. Easy to learn and hard to beat. Water changes are hard to beat too.

AFA critters. Depends on your lighting choice, placement in the tank, and husbandry. There are tons of 'corals', sponges, tunicates, etc that can live in lower lighting. Several others are more up on what's available than I am.

HTH
Jerel

#4 ·
Hi Brian, welcome to TRT

Corallimorpharians or 'mushroom anemones' are a common choice for low-light, beginers' tanks. Pretty sturdy lot.

As for filtration, I echo Jerel:
LR, LS, and a decent skimmer for safety.

You might want to do research on 'curing' LR.
The only tricky after curing is allowing the cured LR (and later on, the LS) to settle in and get comfy in the tank environment, before proceeding with moderate speed in adding the fish, etc.

have fun,
horge

#5 ·
Hi Brian,

I would like to recommend a 75 instead of a 55 in that size range tank. IMHO and IME, the 55 is a poor configuration for a reef tank. I know, I have one!
The problem is not the size, but the narrow footprint; only 12-3/4" front to back. This severely limits rock aquascaping to a vertical wall shape; limited space for lighting on top; very constricted space in the cabinet for sump and equipment; and can be somewhat unstable with the weight of sand, rock and water.

The 75 is essentially a 55 with an extra 6" front to back which effectively eliminates the problems.
Most equipment suitable for a 55 works just as well on a 75, the main difference in cost would be another 20-25# rock and more sand.

The extra water volume will support more fish; particularly if you are interested in a Tang. Many recommend a 75 as the minimum size for any Tang, such as Yellow or Sailfin.

Don't get me wrong; a 55 can be made into a successful reef. I enjoy mine immensely and have some great fish and corals but I sure wish it were a 75.

As for a setup and equipment; I would suggest live rock with at least a 4" sandbed; protein skimmer; 3-4 powerheads for circulation; and a sump. Lighting is the primary limiting factor as to what kind of corals you can keep, irrespective of tank size.

I would also recommend reading Robert Fenner's The Conscientious Marine Aquarist before making any final decisions or purchasing equipment. Though he doesn't necessarily specify equipment by brand, you will have a much better understanding of what is required for a good setup.
Here are some very helpful sites with much good info:
http://www.wyx.com/iheo/tank/new.htm
http://saltyzoo.com:8081/
http://www.reefkeepers.org/faq/cache/33.html
http://www.animalnetwork.com/fish2/aqfm/1998/june/features/2/default.asp
http://www.premiumaquatics.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=PA&Category_Code=Lighting

HTH,
Dick

#6 ·
thanks for all the great info so far...you folks sure are beneficial to someone that is beginning, as well as encouraging to have someone to turn to when the need arises...i think this sight is great...i have a local dealer that has substantial livestock in fish and corals, as well as tanks, skimmers, etc., but he is not much help. he knows his business, but is not interested in sharing with someone else; i am not sure if he is just not a "people-person" or if he is afraid someone will eventually go in business against him...he shouldn't worry about me...i am happy proclaiming the Gospel of Jesus Christ (don't any of you evolutionists in this line of business discredit me for this!)thanks again for the help so far

#7 ·
Ditto what fishdaddy says. But if you dont want to go bigger, I'd suggest going smaller then, get a 65 AGA which is 36x18x24 with the built in corner overflow. It's a foot shorter but the 18" depth is what you really need for ease of aquascaping and coral placement. You can also go with the AGA 40 or 50, booth the same footprint as the 65 but you'll have to drill your own overflow or use an external overflow.

I really think you are wasting your money on the 55.

#8 ·
thanks again for the advice...i am trying to find an inexpensive way to go larger...i just finished bidding on ebay for a 125 complete setup...i went over 500, but the reserve was around 900...does anyone have any good deals? cost is a concern for initial set-up; i do not want to be in debt so i can be free to add to the tank later if i decide to do so

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.