The Reef Tank banner

Open Brain Coral Question???

4K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Jeremiah Patterson 
#1 ·
I have an open brain coral (green) I noticed a couple months ago that it has a little brown spot on it. There were even some little tenticles coming out of it like from a filter feeder of some sort. Then a couple weeks later I noticed another little spot. Looks like it has brown or rust colored hair growing on it. Now I notice a third little spot and it has the hair too. No more filter feeder that I can see, but rust colored hair or algae growing out. Rest of it looks ok. Any ideas? Should I try to remove the brown stuff or leave it alone?

Thanks
Harrison

#2 ·
Well this has happened to my candy coral. I still have some algae growing between one of the buds, but I have pulled all algae as its grown out and minimized its growth. With a brain, as its skeleton may make it harder to remove the algae, assuming it is algae thats growing, you may want to move it in the tank or quaratine it to see how the growth rate is affected. Sorry but no first hand experience with brain

Good Luck,
Dustin

#4 ·
My open brain (green) has this too...but I haven't the foggiest what it is...Mine seems to originate near its mouth area. I've tried to direct current to blow it away thinking that it was a clump of something that just landed on it...it was stuck well. I've just left it there for now until I find out an answer to what it is. It is still very happy and expands well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.