The Reef Tank banner

yellow tangs, ich and quarantine tanks.

11K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  Boom Boom 
#1 ·
Ok, here's my problem. I just bought a yellow tang from a LFS that said they had had it a while with no problems. Unfortunately I gave my wife instructions to acclimating it that apparently she only half-heartedly followed. (By the way, what do you suggest for acclimation procedures) Needless to say it got ich 7 hours later. I checked my water condtions and they are fine. I've heard that ich is common among tangs but anyway, what do I do now. It's a 45 g. FO tank that I've had a few months. (I know it was probably too eary but I always find out these things after I make the mistake). I currently have a percula clown, and a couple of small damsels and a chocolate chip starfish. That's it. I don't have a quarantine tank because I've heard from several different people that they aren't worth it or neccessary. I don't know if I understand the purpose either. A quarantine tank is a seperate tank right? So what difference does it make if you take a fish from a LFS tank or a quarantine tank to your new tank. It seems that transferring a fish from one tank to another is the problem anyway. So, you could have a fish in a quarantine tank with no problems but if the new tank has problems than the fish will get sick anyway. Someone please explain the logic. One tank is expensive enough. Why keep two? Anyway, what to do about the ich? Does ich sometimes go away on its own? It seems on the second day that the fish is looking better and none of the other fish have it. Also, I can't treat the tank with chemicals because i have a starfish, right? So, are there any options I have other making a quarantine tank and then treating the fish. Let me know ASAP someone. It's making me nervous.

See less See more
#2 ·
First of all, IMO 45 gal. is too small for a mature yellow tang. Tangs need a lot of leg (fin) room so to speak. You should probably take the tang back to the LFS and get something that will be happier in your tank.

A Q (Quarantine) tank's main purpose is to quarantine your main tank from the new arrival, this prevents you from bringing in a disease and infecting all your fish. It also allows you to treat the fish if necessary without stressing out your main tank.

There are many ways to treat ich (garlic, etc..). Generally a good environment is the best measure. If your tank is too small for the fish, or if he is a victim of aggression, he may continue to be re-infected over and over. Good water quality and low stress is the key to overcoming ich. I'll let you do searches, or maybe someone else will give you some more info on specific measures to take. A fish can fight off ich on it's own.

You are correct about treating your main tank. Copper for example would be lethal to the starfish, and would mean you probably would never be able to keep corals in the tank (copper is very difficult to remove once added). Garlic could be administered in the main tank without harm to others.

------------------
-Greg
Greg's Aquarium Links

[This message has been edited by gregt (edited 10-01-2000).]

#4 ·
I believe in quaretining a new fish but the store I buy from quarenteens all their new fish and when I go into the store I usually have my eye on certain fish that I dont buy for a couple of weeks to see how they do in the store. However, someone else may buy the fish in the meantime. Because of this I dont quarenine my new fish.
I know most the other stores in town dont quarenteen new fish arivals. This is one reason I dont buy from them. If this is your only choice then I would definatly set up your own quarentine tank.
I also agree, I think your tank is too small for that fish and it will continue to get ich because of it. I think most people struggle with having too small a tank so dont feel alone. My next tank is going to be huge, like a 300 gallon or bigger if I can get it into the basement, Maybey I will have to have it custome built down there.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.