The Reef Tank banner

foxface rabbit fish

12K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Martinh 
#1 ·
Does anyone have a foxface rabbit fish in their reef? I've been reading about them, and was thinking of getting one. Any info about these beautiful fish would be great!
Thanks!

#2 ·
I do. Mine picks at algae and leaves the corals alone. It's not an aggresive fish and gets along with 4 tangs in my 300. I have had the Foxface for about 4 years now and it has doubled in size. It's about 6" now. I do believe they can get much larger. Bob

------------------
Check out my Reef Site

G
#3 ·
Reportedly they are great on Valonia algae.
Also be careful handling them, they have several mildly venomous dorsal spines

------------------
I thought I was me, but I was wrong
email: geeflipr@internetcds.com

#5 ·
I've had one in my small (37 gal) reef for several months now. Mine's not at all interested in Valonia but quickly disposed of all the turf algae in the tank and now is working on the Caulerpa. I've never seen any evidence of it eating or bothering corals--but it does like to pick at algae growing among Clavularia and Zoanthids, which sometimes causes them to momentarily contract. No damage, though. The critters are omnivorous and very greedy eaters--at least mine is. It will gobble up anything I throw to the other fish (live brine, frozen worms, even flakes). This can make it a little difficult to feed small timid fish. My foxface is not at all aggressive, and really a nice addition, but I'm reconciled to the fact that he might outgrow my little tank.

Best,
BA

#6 ·
Hi

I have had one in my reef for 2yrs now and no problems.I agree they are very greedy eaters and mine takes just about anything you put in the tank,it also eats valonia.They are very timid fish and dart for cover every time you make a sudden movement or put your hand in the tank.The way they change colour is amazing.

Martin

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.