The Reef Tank banner

Homer's tank, week two...

1K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  cubera 
#1 ·
Here is where I am right now after two weeks. My 90g with 180 lbs aragonite sand, 70 lbs of cured figi rock and a Tide Pool II with these measurements:
Salinity: 1.026
Temp. 82
Ammonia: trace
PH: 8.2-8.3
Nitrate: 1 or less
Nitrite: .1 or less
Phosphate: .1 or less
Calcium: 450 ppm
KH: 13.1 / Alk: 4.69

There are about 10 hermit crabs and two Rhynchocinetes regulosus (dancing or candy shrimp). These hitched rides on the rocks.
Every other day I give a couple pinches of TetraMarine fish food.

Six days ago I added some Stress Zyme per the instructions.

Today I noticed lots of microscopic white things attached to the glass. Many of them. (??)

I put my lights on a couple hours today so I could look at things ( two 65w ultra actinic and two 175w 5500 MH). Otherwise, the lights have not been on at all.

Questions:

1. Should I still hold off on the lights?

2. When do I start the protein skimmer?

3. Any suggestions at this point?

As always, thanks so much for your help.

Homer

See less See more
#2 ·
Hwy Homer, looking good!

Your tank is in about mid-cycle and readings sound about normal for this point. The "things" on the glass are most probably copepods. Try looking at them with a magnifying glass (Required Reefer Equipment!) You should begin to see lots of different sand/rock mini-critters though some will die off during the cycle.

To answer the questions:

1. Should I still hold off on the lights?
I would run the actinics for a few hours a day. There are most probably some photosynthetic Zoanthids and other critters that could use some light. I would hold off on the $$$ MH bulbs as there are no corals in the tank.
2. When do I start the protein skimmer?
I would go ahead and run the skimmer to remove excess nutrients. Some may say to wait until the cycle is complete but I think running it would be fine.
3. Any suggestions at this point?
You might do a 10% water change to soften the cycle's effect on the inverts in the tank. Adding the Stress-Zyme is unnecessary as there is plenty of bacteria in the LR/LS. Many doubt the viability of the dried bacteria anyway.
What type hydrometer are you using to measure salinity/SG?
What are you using for your source water?
Dick

#3 ·
Thanks Dick for the help. I am using a SeaTest Specific Gravity meter and just checked again and got 1.026. For water, I am using the three stage Kold Ster-il system including the optional phosphate, silicate absorbent medium (Alumina media).

Thanks again,

Homer

#4 ·
All good points by FishDaddy. I run lights and skimmer full blast during cycling periods. Many would disagree with me but doing this shortens the cycling period and stabilizes chemistry much faster. You can often times see coraline 'blooms' in a few weeks or less. HTH....GO FOR IT!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.