The Reef Tank banner
1K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  dbmet 
#1 ·
I stopped by the LFS today to check out the tanks again..found a 58 gallon tank and stand that I like. I talked with the owner about what I would need to start a FO tank for now..he just said I would need the tank and stand, lights...and 2 power heads, sponge, and some live rock..thats it..no mention of deep sand beds or a sump...So I went over to look at the tanks in the store
and his tanks don't have dsb ..looks more like crushed coral..should I listen to this person?I have been reading alot of old messages but still not real clear on what all I need. and getting more confused by the minute.? thanks for any advice you might have

I have two kids...and I'm kinda worried about having a tank and the kids disturbing it...and stressing the fish?

[ 07-23-2001: Message edited by: dbmet ]

#3 ·
Hi Dbmet,

Glad to have you aboard The Reef Tank!

The best beginning point for starting a saltwater tank is to get a good book. The Conscietious Marine Aquarist, by Robert Fenner is a good one that will cover just about everything and will be a good reference book for the future. John Tullock's, Natural Reef Aquariums, is another good one. Each runs about $25 online.
There are many different ways to set up a successful saltwater aquarium. Much depends on what your goals for the tank are: coral reef; fish only; species tank; etc. You indicate you want a fish only tank so you need to determine which fish you want to keep and consider their compatability with one another. A huge consideration is the size of the adult fish. A 58, IMHO, is too small for Tangs, Triggers, and most other large free-swimming fish. If you are interested in these type fish, a much larger tank would be necessary to support them as adults. An old rule of thumb says 1" of fish per 5 gallons but this is subject to many variables, such as fish body type, their eating habits, and the fish themselves.
Please read one or both of the books mentioned before making any purchases or hard decisions about your plan for this tank.
Just as a general suggestion for a 58 gal tank, a basic setup could include 60-90 lbs. of live rock; 4-6" deep sand bed; good skimmer (Manufacturer's ratings are usually very optimistic); 3-4 powerheads for circulaton; a sump for increased water volume and housing tank equipment; and a collection of miscellaneous equipment such as test kits; water filtration; etc.
As for the LFS tanks, those are display tanks that usually house fish for a short time; many LFS have central filtration systems and should not be considered as representational for a stand-alone home aquarium.
A DSB can be a very effective biofiltration system for any tank, including a FOWLR. They do take time to develop; about 6 months to support a very modest bioload and up to 18 months to fully develop. Some fish do feed on the substrate creatures so this is another issue in fish selection. These are generally covered in either of the two books.
Bear in mind that you will encounter many different opinions so it is important to read as much current books and articles as possible so you can make your own informed choices.
In addition to the books, here are some excellent websites with good information for starting up and maintaining a saltwater aquarium: http://www.reefkeepers.org/faq/cache/33.html http://www.rshimek.com/reef/sediment.htm http://www.webring.org/cgi-bin/webring?ring=reeffaq;list http://www.hobbyschool.com/reef/
This is a very reading-intensive hobby as well as requiring lots of patience. That's all part of the challenge of learning and the best pathway to a successful aquarium.
Again, welcome to TRT!
Dick

#4 ·
Yet another option...

The old style called for ~4" of crushed coral (medium to large) over an undergravel filter with two powerheads. While this setup is often fround upon, I have found it to be inexpensive and easy to run. The water changes every 2-3 weeks (depending on nitrates) is the only hard part, as almost all decorations must be pulled from the tank to vaccuum the gravel. While the system has fallen into disfavor, as the suggested books will outline, I have found it to be easy and expensive. However, I think the live rock is more attractive than most decorations, and the live rock is not compatible (very well) with the UGF. Just another thought

#5 ·
Re: UGF these work and are cheap, but the problem is they actually trap a lot of debris in the crushed coral. For the 58g tank you are considering I would factor in the price of a an Aamiricle or similar overflow and a 10-20 long cheap tank as a sump. For a swim tank you can fashion a wet/dry cheap tho I think Live rock is better in the long run and invest in a Remora Pro or similar skimmer

#6 ·
I would not purchase a new setup from a LFS. You will be spending alot of extra money that you could use for all the other things you don't have a clue that you will need. Purchase used equipment, and develop the relationship with the LFS. You will find out that you better have a wide open wallet for this hobby. You will need heaters, powerheads, additives, foods, man does it go on. Purchase something local easy to transport to your home. Visit some of the boards and find out the type of system you want. Wet/dry, Jaubert, Berlin, and the list goes on.

IMO, buy a dry system and add livestock. You can buy what you need as you add. If you buy an existing system (as a newbie), you will have to get educated real fast.

As far as the kids are concerned, don't worry about them. Set the rules that they can look at the tank, but DONT TAP ON THE GLASS. Explain what you are doing to them, have them help feed, but, only with you there, or they will loose the privlegde. Only the food in the cans (flakes) or what you want. My three like the tank (6,7 and 12). When I travel, my 12 year old, feeds and cleans the tank for $1.00 a day. Your kids will loose interest, but, your interest will only grow.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.