The Reef Tank banner
1K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  mandarin1 
#1 ·
I need to get a tank setup and going as soon as possible. A friend had a 40 gallon tank that leaked onto his floor fortunately he was able to save three of his fish but lost his coral and most of the water from the tank. I have a empty tank if i get live sand from lfs and do a water change from my two tanks will i be able to use the old water and live sand to cycle the tank. fish cant go in my current systems. Help!!!!

#2 ·
If the alternative is that the fish will die then I would go ahead and do it. Just watch for an ammonia and nitrite spike, and be ready for a water change when/if it occurs. You will however eventually need some media for de-nitrifying bacteria to grow on. This can be LR, or a conventional aquarium filter (sponge type).

For now I would just concern myself with getting the fish into a safe container then map out a strategy.

HTH, Rick

#3 ·
Mandarin,
If you are proposing to take your friend's 3 fish and put them into your tank, I would suggest setting up a tank as a Quarantine tank rather than try to cycle a new tank in a rush. I would use a bare tank with used water from your tanks (I wouldn't try to take more than 20-25% at most from your tanks) and fill with aerated salt mix, using a hang on filter for the time being. The main thing is to create a fast, safe environment for these fish without adding any more stress than they have already undergone. You may even encounter Ich or something that you may have to treat the fish for. You can even use a rubber maid tub for this purpose in an emergency so long as you have heat and powerheads for circulation along with a filter, such as a Whisper rated for the size container. During this time you can cycle your tank and get it ready for the fish.
BTW, what are the fish and what size is the tank you are putting them into?
Dick

#5 ·
Mandarin,
Setting up a tank with live sand is good but it will still go thru a cycle and will take perhaps 2 weeks to be safe for your fish. Thats why you can set up a tank(or rubbermaid) with the used water and a hang on filter that can house the fish temporarily until the new tank is cycled. Feeding the Mandarin in the meantime will be a problem unless this particular fish is accustomed to eating prepared foods. If not, you need to try to get some live brine shrimp for it.
The main thing for now, as RickO also said is to get temporary housing for the fish until the new tank is cycled and ready.
Dick

#6 ·
The mandarin will not do well unless it was eating prepared foods. Before you spend all the time and $$$ to get stuff from your LFS why don't you just bring the fish to the LFS so they will have a good chance? The mandarin needs the live sand now. The chromis is relatively inexpensive to repurchase, so we are talking losing 50% cost on a six line? I would not fork out all the extra dough. LFS should help you out. Just my .02

#8 ·
By the time I got off last night the 6line had left use. I put the other two in a breeder and will keep them there for the night. No the mandarin dosent eat frozen foods very well thats why i gave him to my friend,he had ate all the pods in my tank.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.