The Reef Tank banner
3K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  bill-e 
#1 ·
I am brand new, and need some information on selecting the right aquarium and pump/filtration at the beginning. Things I would prefer in my tank: angels, tangs, and maroon w/ gold clowns; long tentacle plate coral, flavites, polyps, open to suggested corals and anemones that are suitable with listed fish. My question is: what size tank should I consider with perhaps 6-10 fish? What is the best, yet cost effective filtration? I am not at all familiar with which fish mix with which coral...please give some advice on this also. My plans are to buy the fish first, and add some coral later, but I would like to begin planning. I appreciate the concern everyone shows for God's creation and the welfare of the creatures. I certainly intend to read much more before I make any moves. Right now, my intentions are inital set-up with tank, filtration, live rock, etc. Also, would reef sand or crushed coral be better for the bottom? Thanks for any help

#2 ·
BrianinOhio

Reading and coming to the reef tank board has put you on the right track to be successful. If you are going to want 6-10 fish the size of your tank will depend on:
1. compatability of your fish
2. size of your fish when fully mature
3. How aggressive will your fish be
4. Stress factor of your fish in regards to space.
Just a few things to consider in picking tank size. I have 3 fish in an 80 gallon reef with maybe 1 more. That is my choice.
If you are going with a reef tank then I would consider a tank size of at least 100-250 gallons with Live rock(1-1/2lbs per gallon) and a DSB(no crushed coral please) of at least 4" with 5-8" being better. You should also have a sump to store your pumps, heater, and a very good skimmer should be considered.
Lighting of at least 5ww-8ww per gallon and your lighting choices will be dictated by what you plan on keeping as far as corals, clams, etc.
Others will come on and break this down in more detail as I am just giving you some basic ideas. Glad to see you here! Johnny

[ 09-20-2001: Message edited by: MontanaRocknReefer ]

#3 ·
Welcome!

Scott Micheal's Pocket Guide is an excellent and inexpensive book that covers most of the fish common in the hobby and will give you most of the pertinent facts you need to know regarding fish selection for tank size, compatablitity, etc.

John Tullock's The Natural Reef Aquarium is another good book that covers quite a bit of the basics. Robert Fenner's The COnscientious Marine Aquariast is another that will serve as an excellent resource for beginners. There are many others but these are usually readily available and will get you started.

~Alice

#4 ·
Brian,

If you want a LT Plate, and/or any of the many other beautiful LPS which need the expanse of a sand bed to spread out, then I would recommend a 24" deep tank like the Oceanic 150 (60x24x??) This 5' long tank is a great size IMO, and the 24" depth will mean you can aquascape with lots of open sandbed for your plate, clams, and lps.

As far as angels, they usually dont make good reef inhabitants because they tend to like to nip and eat at the corals, especially LPS. The larger tank you get, the more likely the effect of the angel on the corals will be less. I have a half black pygmy
angel which has been fine for the 3 months I've had him.

As for filtration, obviously a deep sand bed and Live rock are recommended with a good size protein skimmer. It's currently believed that if yo go with say an 8" sand bed, you can greatly reduce the amount of Live Rock you need, since the sandbed will do most of the nitrification. I personally believe in getting an oversized skimmer. easier to reduce i's use than to have to buy a bigger one later on.

If you're planning on the LT Plate for a host for the clowns, I would suggest that it's not a good idea. The plate will likely not take kindly to the clowns living in it, and may stay closed and die. Other corals (non-lps) seem to react better to the pestering of the clowns, colt, for instance. Basically, the clowns will adopt just about anything.

Hope that's a start on answering some of yur questions.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.