The Reef Tank banner
1K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  Minnreefer 
#1 ·
I am going to be building another canopy for my tank to include two halide lights. I know they should be at least 8 inches off the water so I have taken this into account. I currently have 4 110 watt vho's. In my current canopy they almost sit right on the water. When I add the halides, how far should the flourescents be in relation to the halides, above or below. They are right on the water now because I want as much output as possible from them, but with two halides there will be considerably more light, so should I just put them on the top of the hood with the halide under them or have the flourescents slightly under the halide, or flush.... Just throw me some suggestions.
I also would like to know what a good combo would be for my 75 gallon, I already have 4 vho's, I plan on getting two halides, but at what wattage? 175 or 250? What color lighting would be the best with this combo, I plan on having a few sps and one clam. Also what are the dimensions of a 250 watt halide bulb, how wide is it? Thanks in advance.

[ 09-20-2001: Message edited by: Demogarr ]

[ 09-20-2001: Message edited by: Demogarr ]

See less See more
#2 ·
I think you should replace your living room with a ballast. Put glass in all the doorways, and viola. Excellent. Then, you can add the moon cycle, the powersweep, the wavemaker, the calcium reactor, the chiller, the new protien skimmer, the co2 unit, the RO automatic top off, and the pressurizer, for those deep-sea creatures.

(In case you are wondering, I know this guy!)

#3 ·
I would go with 2 - 250W Iwasaki bulbs and a standard MH ballast to fire them. The only problem is that you have a lot of space taken up by your VHO tubes sitting on the tank. I think 6" is plenty of height for your MH bulbs as well. Some people even keep them 3 or 4" off the water.

#4 ·
We currently have 3 250w Iwaski and 2 6' VHO actinic bulbs on our 135. It is tooo yellow for my taste so I am going ad 2 more 6' actinic VHO and see how that works. I would say that you should go with the 250 iwaski and I don't think it matters that much where you put the VHO's, as long as most of the light is not blocked I don't think it will matter.
HTH
Jonathan

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.