The Reef Tank banner

POLL: Page loading time

Tags
angel fish
4K views 44 replies 24 participants last post by  moormist 
#1 ·
It has been brought to my attention that people who use dial-up to get on TRT are losing patience with the time it takes to load the pages. One reason for this is that the images in the signatures (the ones under the dotted line) have to come from someone else's server. This can be a slow process sometimes.

This would not affect the images you add to your posts such as dancing cows (jerel), welcome signs (johnny, jerel, fishdaddy), or pictures of your tank (jerel!
). Nor would this affect those of you who have images under your names.

Soooooo, the question is this. What kind of connection are you using and are page load times too slow as is.

Thanks-
Brooke

See less See more
#2 ·
Alright Missy, I see my name mentioned a lot here. ROTFL

I'm using USOL and usually connect at 45333. Everything loads relatively fast for me. Usually about a count of 3-4 seconds. The only ones that load slow are the ones that have 20+ posts on them and even that only takes about 8 +/- seconds.
BTW is my NOAA working in the sig?

You and Jon can post pictures of the new tank any time now <hint>>

#3 ·
i connect usually at 4800, no big problems with TRT loading,but if it's slow out here it's slow everywhere. no complaints here,,,,
Jerel! have not heard from you much lately!
!hope Snake Creek did not get hit too hard by the last storm that went through your bit of paradise!
Jeff

#5 ·
hehe..I love pickin you, Jerel
. I can't get to the noaa site at all from my laptop. It's very strange. Have I been banned? Your noaa logo comes up just fine on my work computer.

We got a lot of the gunk cleaned off the back glass last night, so I will take some pics today.

FWIW, I usually connect at about 46666 and most pages load within 4-8 seconds. DSL is looking really tempting, though.

Here's a nice big gif to bog things down:
Brooke

#6 ·
I love the "girls". so tropical hehehe

Jeff, still waiting on the water to clear, other than that, all's well. We have only 10-20ft of vis right now. I'm worried if it clears too quick, we'll have bleaching again. We have a eddy moving up from the South this week bringing extra clear stream water onto the reef. It's predicted to hit here in the next day or two.

Yes, Brooke - you're banned! ROTFL
I have powers too.

#11 ·
I use a T1 at work and a regular phone line 56K modem at home. I never have any problems. I actually enjoy seeing all the cool graphics. Please don't restrict this. It's something that makes this message board more unique and personable compared to other boards out there.

#13 ·
Hi Jack-
At 49K, you shouldn't be so slow. The UBB software uses cookies as part of its cacheing. Are your cookies off now? The cookies also keep you from having to login every time you come here. Let me know about your cookies.

Brooke

#17 ·
Originally posted by Brooke:
Hi Jack-
At 49K, you shouldn't be so slow. The UBB software uses cookies as part of its cacheing. Are your cookies off now? The cookies also keep you from having to login every time you come here. Let me know about your cookies.

Brooke
My cookies are on now-I cannot sign in without them-the program does not accept my name/password without cookies. I can lurk without cookies, but cannot post.
regardless, its been so slow lately, that I could not even pull up this board.
seems to be better now.:)
Jack

#19 ·
Well I've turned off the sig images, so some of you can see the difference...if any. For me this page went from a 22 second load time to 5 seconds..hmm..

Brooke

[ 09-20-2001: Message edited by: Brooke ]

#22 ·
Brooke,
I'm on dial-up with an ancient Gateway...I can't tell any difference as page loading is slow for me everywhere I go!

In fact, "someone" on the board once suggested in an e-mail that I was "old, slow, and cranky".....

I want my Fish back!!!
Dick

#25 ·
Originally posted by FishDaddy:
In fact, "someone" on the board once suggested in an e-mail that I was "old, slow, and cranky".....
It wasn't a suggestion

Just because it's takes both of us exactly the same amount of coffee in the morning. It's starting to get cold up there. Isn't it time to start planning another trip south?

#26 ·
You guys are making this hard!! Ok, another thing we can try is putting your cute little pics on our server instead of on some big bogged down animation server.

So, for those of you who have responded in this post, please change your sig images as follows:

use http://www.thereeftank.com/images/ and then the following file name:

Jerel: angelfish.gif
wrasseman: drewman.gif (hehe I should rename that one)
Garyg: garyg.gif
Johnny: montana.gif
FishDaddy: fishdaddy.gif

If you guys want to change this in your profile, we'll try this.

Brooke

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.