The Reef Tank banner
2K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  tdwyatt 
#1 ·
I had some guy at a fish store tell me that mag pumps are great if you use them in the submersible,but not inline.
He says that if installed inline the mag pumps will leak from the seal is this true?
How many people use this pump inline and have had any problems?
Thanks for the input

------------------
Jeff W.
wellsjj@home.com

#2 ·
Hi-yo Silver, welcome to the reef tank

I prefer to use submersible pumps-- if seals start to leak no mess---- no fear of bulkhead leaking------- no need for extra isolation valves--- less chance of motor overheating.

Draw back are- some added heat to the tank -- could also be a problem if motor shorted or burnt out.

If you have a smaller tank ( 120 or smaller)
and don't have sump in basement ( low head pressure) the submersibles are the way to go.

IMO- Phill

Reef-On

[This message has been edited by Phill (edited 09-29-2000).]

G
#3 ·
Reefkeeper uses and sells Mag pumps, perhaps he has some feedback on them. I can only recall offhand, one post about a leaky Mag inline pump, but I think submersable is less to malfunction and easier to plumb, FWIW

------------------
I thought I was me, but I was wrong
email: geeflipr@internetcds.com

#4 ·
I better go replace my Mag pumps!

Seriously, I have two currently running inline 24/7. The Mag 12 is for a skimmer and Mag 5 is for a Ca reactor. Both seem to run well and don't leak (even after servicing). I use a Little Giant inline for the return...

HTH,
NorthCoast

[This message has been edited by NorthCoast (edited 09-30-2000).]

#5 ·
Silver,

I have a 75 set up with a sump system that I built. I run the tank on a mag 18. I used to have a mag 12, but it met some misfortune due to my own stupidity. now that I got a replacement impellar, its my backup. I use mine in the sump, and feel that it is the easiest way to hook up a return pump. Mine took just a couple of minutes to change out, and there was now draining the sump, glueing new PVC, or anything like that. If you definitely want to run you pump externaly, go for it. When I took my 12 apart I was impressed by the gasket and seal that it creates. I doubt that there are many instances of them leaking. BTW, if you are worried about heat, or noise, you really should not be- my did not raise my temps noticably, and as for noise, just use a peice of styrofoam that is a couple of inches bigger that the pump. this is a great idea for all internal pumps, and keeps them from rattling on the bottom or sides of your sump.

Welcome to the reeftank!

Gene

#7 ·
Well it sounds like I should not run this inline. So I need to find a good pump for running inline. I had this 90/g tank drilled in the two corners for a closed cirlation system. gets water from tank and is pumped back to tank through two reef rotors. I dont want this going to the sump.
Any ideas on a good pump to do this. at least 1000/gph and not a $1000.00 price tag on it.
Thanks

------------------
Jeff W.
wellsjj@home.com

#10 ·
I use the little giants to turn over 2100 gph in the big tank, and use a sen 900 to run the skimmer shen I do run it, Like the little giant, (don't remember the model, and too lazy to go in there to see, sorry) My Little giant has been running nonstop for about 1 year, I just disassemble it about once every 3 or 4 months (use the quick release stuff that plumbers use on 1 inch plastic pipe) and clean everything with vinegar. Quiet, external, powerful, reliable.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.