The Reef Tank banner

Strange snail observation

3K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  FishDaddy 
#1 ·
I run a calcium reactor and the effluent drips into a 16 ounce plastic container. This container sits in the refugium below the tank. I use the container to place a ph probe in to measure the ph of the reactor effluent. Right now I have the reactor effluent ph set at about 6.75. The weird thing is that 3 or 4 snails from the ref always seem to crawl up the container and go into it. I thought snails were super sensitive to ph swings and had to be aclimated to a new tank VERY slowly. With the tank ph at 8.35 this is a major difference. Can the snails be attracted to the effluent? What's going on? Bob

------------------
Check out my Reef Site

#2 ·
Bob,
I dunno about snails. I drip kalk into the tank through a tube into the outlet of a powerhead. Snails congregate there awash in the fresh kalk mixture.
They seem to enjoy it.
Dick

#4 ·
Horge,
I drip kalk for all top off water so there shouldn't be any dramatic changes. There's usually just one or two snails around the PH outlet so its not like they're swarming to the kalk.
Dick

#5 ·
Horge,
The tank is my newly set up 300 (3 weeks).Calcium is @ 430 ppm and alkalinity is @ natural sea water. Ph ranges from 8.00 to 8.35. The reactor effluent ph is @ 6.75.

------------------
Check out my Reef Site

[This message has been edited by RWD (edited 09-30-2000).]

G
#8 ·
I remember reading an article by Ron or Rob, maybe on Aquarium Frontiers, regarding snail acclimation and care. It stressed the importance of proper acclimation. Does any one recall that article or have the link handy?

------------------
I thought I was me, but I was wrong
email: geeflipr@internetcds.com

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.