The Reef Tank banner

Who would put a Flounder in a reef tank?

Tags
lfs owner
11K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  FishDaddy 
#1 ·
I have a reef tank that's just under 200G. Everything in the tank says "reef." Yesterday my wife and I stopped by the LFS and she saw a 3-4 inch Flounder. "Isn't it the cutest thing," she says. Followed by, "Let's buy it." I asked the owner of the LFS to give me at least three reasons why my wife shouldn't be allowed to buy the Flounder. I was hoping he would give me at least ONE good reason why a Flounder would not a good addition to a reef tank. Other than the fact that the Flounder could grow to a considerably large size, the LFS owner really could not determine the Flounder to be harmful. Fortunately, I persuaded my wife not to buy the Flounder "this" trip. Can any of you give me some better advice regarding: Flounder in the reef tank?

Thank you,
-Rob

#2 ·
Rob,
Flounder eat shrimp, crustaceans, worms and even small fish. I have often fished for flounder with live shrimp and I know they like them. While they may be "reef safe" as far as your corals, the inverts and fish in your tank would be in serious danger.

IMHO, I'd leave the flounder at the LFS.
Dick

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.