The Reef Tank banner

where's the sand?

1K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  Dak 
#1 ·
I've read many good things about HD Southdown
Tropical Playsand, all found on archived discussions. I'm also dissapointed that we (the West Coast) reefers don't have access to the cheap (compared to CarbSea) or inexpensive substrate. I've also read that there was a major effort from dedicated reefers to haul a palet of Southdown sand from the east coast last year ( are there any bags left?). Well anyway, what I want to know is without access to the low cost sand ( I love inexpensive stuff), what do or shall I say what is the cheapest sand alternative does anyone use without sacrificing quality. I want to use oolitic aragonite. Any suggestions on or where I can purchase sand at the lowest cost would be greatly appreciated. Hey, I didn't call myself the FrugalReefer for nothing. Thanks.

#3 ·
Hi Frugal,

We're in the market for a great deal on sand as well. Not much, we're just setting up a 26 gallon tank, but it seems that shipping is where it gets expensive.

Let us know if you'd want to go in on some together: curry@thegrid.net

Alice, do you, by chance, sell real estate in Florida?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.