The Reef Tank banner

HD Lights of America Kit

3K views 17 replies 10 participants last post by  Superman 
#1 ·
I wanted to know thoughts/opinions on these lights, the Home Depot Lights of America 65 Watt Bulb/fixture. I have a 20 Long built into my wall, and have plenty o room to mount lights on the inside. I plan on doing two of these, with two Actinic Sups. What I want to know, is if people believe these are worth it or not. Only $20, I am SURE the Kelvin rating is probly only 2700, and want to know how this will affect corals, if they would even work for a reef tank. Total watts for the two of those/two actinics would be 170 (20 gallon tank, approx 8 watt/gallon), but didn't know if good idea since Kelvin rating so low, or any other reason. All help is appreciated. Thanks.

WAGZ

#4 ·
My friend has one on her 10 gallon nano. I'll see if I can scare the model # up for you. She's got some softies and shrooms in there that are doing well, no undue amount of nuisance algae either.

~Alice

#7 ·
I have one each on the sump of my reef tank and prop tank. They are actually quite a bargain for what you get. As Doug said they are 65 watt 6500K. I would think that with actinic lighting as a supplement they would look great over your tank.

One word of warning though. These things put out a considerable amount of heat. Some of the reports I have read stated that when the fixture was enclosed in a canopy that the bulb or ballast failed prematurely. Otherwise if they can get plenty of ventilation I wouldn't hesitate to use them.

Rick

#8 ·
Thanks to all who have replied, I will run up to look today. I found them only at Menards, as my HD did not have them. I'm going to run around to all four of them today, and look at the other stores. The model I found was 9166, which did not say 6500K, so kinda curious as if this will work. Also will have to buy lots of replacement bulbs too, as they are dropping them here. They will not be mounted close to the tank (tank built into wall, back is an old closed so have plenty of space to mount fans/lights/other). Thank you all again for your help, I appreciate it greatly!!!

WAGZ

P.S. HOPEFULLY I'll be able to post a pic of my tank once I have good lights on it, but it's still empty.

#9 ·
I went to the LOA website to get a link for you. For some reason that fixture is not listed there anymore. I have heard from some that they have had trouble finding that fixture and several of the HD around here have been out of stock for quite a while. It makes me wonder if they are discontinuing that model. The packaging did not give the K rating but their website did verify that it was 6500K.

I looked at mine to see exactly what the model # is and it's not printed on there anywhere. I remember it was 9(x)66 but I can't remember what the second digit is.

If you would like I can post a pic of the fixture. It's the only one that I saw that looks like this.

Rick

#11 ·
Well, I went and picked two of them up today. The only problem I had was after I wired them, and plugged them in one would work, and the other wouldn't(the first one plugged in would work, but when i plugged the second one it it would not) and if I unplugged the first one, the second one would pop on. The only way I can get them both to work is if I plug them in at the same time. I checked with an electrician, he assured me if there was a problem with wiring/overloading it would either pop the breaker/shock me, which neither has occurred. Has anybody else had a similar problem with this??? I have them both running know, but had to plug them into a drop cord, then plug the drop cord in.....

WAGZ

#14 ·
I've got a #9266 over my sump/refugium in my 37 and the caulerpa grows like MAD!

It does get rather warm, luckily my stand is open at the back, so there is lots of vetillation.

And YES it's a 6500K.

Jenn

#15 ·
I have one light that I've not modified at all and it's been running over a year. The second one I added a 12v fan, it keeps it cool, and it failed after 2 months. It's replacement has been around for about a month now so we'll see how that goes.

FWIW, a Radio Shack 12v fan screwed onto one end with the exhaust out of the other keeps the lamp at room temp.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.