The Reef Tank banner
2K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  new guy 
#1 ·
Hello All,

Someone it giving me a medium sized Ritteri Anemone - Heteractis magnifica and I was wondering where it would like to be in my 180 as far as on rock or sand, lighting, and water flow.

Also, are there any other things I need to know about it that will make it's life here more enjoyable? ... water specs, food, etc.

The only other anemones that I have had were Aiptasia and I got rid of those. I am good at killing them, I just want to be sure everything is good for this one.

Also, I have a Mated pair of True Percula Clowns and was wondering if they might "adopt" the new anemone?

Your input would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Steven

------------------
pegasis@concentric.net

See less See more
#2 ·
Steven,
As far as your clowns go, Heteractis magnifica is one of their preferred hosts in the wild. It is a difficult anenome to keep in an aquarium as it is prone to wander and tangle with powerheads. This anenome requires strong lighting and good current.
A better idea is to skip the anenome altogether. Your clowns will be just as happy in frilly mushroom colonies, Frogspawn or many other soft corals.
My Ocellaris love the big Ricordea shrooms, my Frogspawn and even the big Green Stripe Mushrooms.
Dick

#3 ·
They prefer to be on a high rock so they can maximize their light absorbtion. If they "think" they are at a high spot(cant touch your other rocks and stuff)they maynot move. They need at least IME 5watts of light per gallon and like water movement but dont blast it.As for as people not being able to keep anemones, well that could be for a few reasons. One is how they were harvested. If their foot was cut then they will most likely die. If your water and lighting are not top notch then they will most likely die.And another thing that is over looked is they need good clown fish companions. By good I mean clowns that clean and FEED their host by poop or by bringing food to them.Anemones are not just Phototropic. I have a theory that most anemone that die are from tank bred clowns. The drive to take care of the anemone is weakend by poor genetics because their is no "laws of the jungle" at work in captive breeding programs .It is just what ever fish spawn then great, time to make a buck.But if you are able to provide all of these then your Ritteri will probably out grow your tank and most probably die when you trie to move it. Good Luck.

[This message has been edited by new guy (edited 02-07-2001).]

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.