The Reef Tank banner

Discus Fry

8K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  Tedb 
#1 ·
I have been able to successfully get a pair of discus to lay, hatch and am currently raising discus fry. However, I would like to know if anyone out there can give me some helpful information on how to prevent fry loss. As we all have to experience trial and error, I don't like losing the fry, and would appreciate any helpful advice. The fry do well with the pair, as long as they stay together, but after separating them, I start losing them. Thanks in advance for the help......!

#2 ·
Keith, what kind of water are you keeping the fry in? How old are they when you move them away from the parents? Do you lose a few each day or are a bunch going at once? What are they eating when you separate them? Do you eventually lose the whole batch or do they seem to get to a certain number and then the losses stop? There are so many things that might be the cause, maybe we can narrow it down some. Ted

#3 ·
They hatch in straight RO water. I let the fry eat off the parents for about two weeks, then I start introducing hatched b/s. I keep this up for about another two weeks, and then it seems that the parents start stressing from the fry eating the slime coat, so I separate them. While they are with the parents, I start to alter the water and put tap water in as a replacement due to the minerals needed in the water for growth. I don't really know how long to keep up with the hatched b/s. When I move them into their own tank, they are basically placed in straight tap water. The death rate seems to be a couple per day, and then after several days, the death rate slows and then stops, but this leaves very few fry left. When they are in a tank of their own, I start introducing shaved beef heart, and some crushed tetra bits. I also introduce shaved Formula One, in the cubes. There it is, what do you think? Thanks for the reply!

#4 ·
Keith,

I am wondering if the move combined with going into straight tap water is too much stress for them to adjust to. Have you tried matching the ratio of RO and tap water for both tanks? If the parent/fry tank is 80% RO and 20% tap, the new tank would also be 80/20. Over time you can slowly add tap when doing water changes. Another thought can you use a tank-divider to separate them from the parents for a few weeks before moving them. This may allow them to get a bit older and adjust to the changes easier.

David

#5 ·
What I do is slowly acclimate them in their birth tank and when doing water changes, instead of replacing the water with r/o water, I start adding tap water, gradually getting them accustomed to the tap water. When I place them in the grow out tank, the water is bascially the same.

#6 ·
If I were you I would have them eating at least two types of food before removing them from the parents. Get them on BBS first, then after 3-4 days mix powdered flake or discus bits in with it. I don't know if I would feed beef heart that early either. I'd feel more comfortable with frozen bloodworms at first. I've only raised a few batches though but speaking from experience raising syno catfish and african cichlids, sometimes the high fat content of beef heart can have a bad effect on the fry and the water quality. Ted

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.