The Reef Tank banner

Clown fish and tang

940 views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  jerryclunsford 
#1 ·
Hi I am haveing mega problems clown fish getting worse and now tang got white spots on Body can someone help me on what to do befor I lose them and if white spot is treatment safe to soft coral

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
If I remember correctly you have a 30L tank? That's about 8g. A blue tang needs a minimum of a 6 ft tank, about 180 gallons. Tangs have a very thin slime coat since it's not needed in the wild to protect them from parasites as much since they swim so much. Stress weakens a slime coat - so in a tiny tank that fish is probably extremely stressed making his slime coat non-existant and an easy target for the ich parasites in your tank. This lets the parasites multiply unchecked and affects your other fish. Until your tank is properly stocked you will continue to have problems.

I can't see the pictures, so I can't tell you that ich is what is what is wrong with your fish for sure but tangs are known as "ich magnets" so it's likely. In a tank that is properly stocked with low stress the fish can often fight it off themselves. That's not going to happen with a tang in an 8g tank though. You'll need to set up another tank for medicating and treat the fish for 8-10 weeks, leaving the main tank empty of fish while the ich dies off.

After the fish are well you'll need to make the decision of either setting up a tank that can be a long term home for the tang (approx. 180g) or finding it a home that can provide that. Otherwise you're dooming him to a short, miserable life. Honestly, an 8g tank isn't big enough long term for even just the clown by himself. And if you still have the mandarin, he also needs a larger, more mature environment to keep him from starving. Research is extremely important in this hobby - without it you'll be wasting a lot of money and a lot of lives.

#3 ·
I re homed my mandrine and I brought a small baby blue tang witch is happy swimming around peckingat rocks eating very well what am I ment to have cos loads off people have these nano tanks I idear was by baby blue tang wen he gets bit bigger get him a bigger home and get another small one got a chromis and nether had a problem if u tell me your email I will send pics other that way

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.