The Reef Tank banner

20g nano setup need opinions and advice

Tags
20g nano reef
711 views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  Small_reefer 
#1 · (Edited)
Hey guys I just setup a 20g tall nano reef its cycling right now. I have 20lbs of live sand, 20lbs of live rock (cured) the tank has a fluval 206 canister filter for exta water and flow no media in it cause I dont want it to become a nitrate factory. The lighting is a coralife T5 24" fixture. I will be relying on weekly water changes to keep nitrates down. Right now I have one aquageon 500 powerhead in there and with the canister filter it looks like theres enough flow, but I wanted you guys opinion on that should I add on more powerhead or just leave it? I want this tank to be a small reef with just softies and maybe lps.
How does this setup sound to you guys? Any advice or problems let me know!
Thanks

#2 ·
is it possible to put a skimmer in place of the canister? maybe a HOB skimmer? canister is a bad choice for filtration. but it sounds like you already know that.

also if it were my tank i would want to know how deep 20lbs would be. a deep sandbed is another way for PO4 and Nitrates to get trapped.

#3 ·
I got 20lbs of live sand but didnt put the whole bag in it theres maybe an inch im doing a shallow bed an the canister filter is just for added flow since i have it laying around theres not any filter floss or sponges or media in it so it wont produce nitrates and i dont really wanna do a skimmer cause there inefficient for that small of a tank so i hear.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.