The Reef Tank banner

Moving 29 Gallon Biocube

6K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  reef-rookie 
#1 ·
am purchashing a used Biocbe fully stocked with 35 # of live rock live sand Fish and some corals. I am moving tank by van about 10 miles. I was thinking of just removing as much water to lift it and leaving everything else in it move tank to new location then just re add pld water. this sounds way to simple. I am a little worried about weight on bottom of glass when i lift and cracking something. Guy i am getting it from suggested thi as he said he has moved tanks like this before. looking for some good advice. I

#5 ·
Sounds risky to me, to lift your tank with that much weight under it. If you decide to go that route lift it up and quickly slide under a peice of plywood. That should spread the weight out and keep the tank from giving somewhere in the middle. Water weighs around 8lbs a gallon and sand and rock obviously more so there is probably quite a bit of weight in your tank to be bearing down on that one peice of glass.

Personally (im getting ready to move a 46 gal) I'll be removing most everything to rubbermaid containers with water from the tank. One container for the rocks and sand another for fish and corals. Drain tank rest of the way down and move.

I think the key for us both is, when re-setting up our tanks do NOT use to much new water. If you drain your tank to 80% or lower making it possible to move you need to add water back slowly to avoid throwing off your water params.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.