The Reef Tank banner

We're getting the club back together!!!

3K views 12 replies 3 participants last post by  reef-rookie 
#1 ·
Hey everybody, I was a member here about 5 years and 10 e-mail addresses ago and was active in the old CKAS (which met for a whole 4 meetings...) I'd like to set something else up, just an informal way for us to communicate and road trip to some good shops, other club meetings, ect. I'm going to set up a facebook page and Yahoo group just to stay in touch. Maybe if there is a ton of interest we can see about having meetings later on. I'll post links when i have it set up. If you're interested please add a reply so I can gauge interest.

Thanks Ted

#11 ·
Congrats on your anniversary! ;) Moving these things has to suck bad and not something im looking forward too. I only have a 46 gal but its stuffed with corals! Any advice on moving tanks or should I just accept, upfront, that not everything is gonna make it?

#12 ·
It is a major pain in the arse. when you are planning, do not underestimate the time it takes to tear down a tank and re set one up. thats where people get caught with their pants down and start losing stuff from insufficient planning and time.

just yesterday, I tore down my 72g tank. It was just part of my system, and I already had a frag tank plumbed in and running. All I had to do was take the rock out, move some corals downstairs to the frag tank, catch a few fish, drain the main tank, and scoop the sand out. how long? ...............7hrs and 6 beers. Imagine if you had to pack all the livestock, keep most of the water, and then drive somewhere, pack it all back in the house, and start setting up your tank from scratch.

Plan, plan, plan. Then plan for it to take twice as long as you thought. I moved my tank from here, to Columbus, OH and back. When I came back, it literally took me 6 months to get water back in the tank. good thing I had plumbed up some "temporary" holding tanks. If you spend a little more cash up front, buy a used pump, and some rubbermaids, you can set up temporary housing in rubbermaids, use your exisiting lights, skimmers, heaters and such, and you can take as long as you want to set the display back up the right way.

#13 ·
Thanks so much. Yeah I have not thought this through (enough) yet. Im hopefully moving in a few months but all depends on when the house sells. I think your idea of using some rubbermaids is a great one! Oh and the beer is another good idea!

Would you remove corals from the rock work or just leave the rock and corals togehter and drop them in tubs whole? I dont hvae near enough faith in myself to try to coax a BTA off its rock so Im hoping that moving the rock with corals attached is an option.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.