The Reef Tank banner

Agressive Clown Fish

1K views 14 replies 6 participants last post by  trea 
#1 ·
Hello Everybody ...
I Have 4 Black Clown Fish 2 Orange And 2 Black Lately The Black Ones Have Been Agressive With Other Fish Especially With The Orange Should I Worry Because They Werent Like That In The Beginning (now The Orange Clown Fish Just Stay On Top Of Th Tank In A Corner ) Oh By The Way The Black Ones Are Full Grown And The Orange Are Like About An Inch

And Also I Added A New Guy To The Aquarium But Dont Know If It Should Be Plased In A Rock Or Down On The Sand Ill Put A Picture

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Your clowns are starting to mature and pair up. What you are starting to see is why it is (( usually )) best to stick with just one pair per tank. So, I would remove the orange ones.

The anemone appears to be an M. doreensis (( LTA )), which is a sandbed dwelling anemone.

Does the underside of it look similar? (( ignore the "hole" in the foot ))

#10 ·
If the clown fish are all the same species then they should be able to get along with each other. This is going to work out better if one is clearly larger than all the others. Once you have a male/female pair the rest will remain juveniles and the fighting should stop. However it is very common that some of the clown fish do not survive this process of building a hierarchy.

If the clown fish are not the same species then it is likely that they will continue to fight especially if there is an anemone for them to fight over.

I learned this information from a local clown fish breeder here in Arizona. He said that under the right circumstances a person can keep a group of clowns which is how they live in the wild.

I agree with the above statement that a 55 gallon tank is probably not the right environment for multiple clownish.

#15 ·
Please remove one of your pairs out of the tank. I tried to have two pairs of Ocellaris A. in the thank. It was a disaster. My orange and white (Ocellais A.) tried to annihilate the pair of black clowns (Ocellaris A.) that I introduced. I believe in your opening post you mentioned that this behavior was not taking place in the beginning (implying that the two pairs have been together for a while), that aside, it appears that you have a pair of clowns that are no longer happy with the current living arrangements. I couldn't believe they could be mean like that. Good luck!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.