The Reef Tank banner

Nano Cube Modification - External Sump

20K views 15 replies 8 participants last post by  Nate_Bro 
#1 ·
Hello, all:

I am modifying my JBJ Nano Cube 28-gal HQI. I am ditching the rear sump, in favor of an external sump, situated below the display tank, in the aquarium stand. I am also building a separate refugium, in a side tank (a BioCube 14), which will share the Nano Cube's sump. In the end, I will have a side-by-side tanks, one a refugium, and the other a live reef aquarium, both mediated by a common sump.

Here is my diary of the mod, beginning with Phase I: removing the sump-partition wall located in the rear of the Nano Cube 28. Other phases will be posted sequentially, as they are completed over time.

Hope this proves helpful for anyone who seeks to do the same. Your comments, suggestions, and insights are welcome! Thanks!

NEXT PHASE COMING SOON: PHASE II - PAINTING THE TANK IN PREPARATION FOR DRILLING BULKHEAD HOLES...

See less See more
#2 ·
Keep up the great work! Nice to see how detailed you are being with this project.

Looking forward to seeing the finished product.

#4 ·
Nano Cube Modification Phase II - Painting Tank Before Drilling Holes for Bulkheads

Howdy:

As promised, here is the documentation diary for the next phase of the modification to my Nano Cube 28-Gallon HQI: Phase II--Painting the Tank Before Drilling Holes for Bulkheads.

NEXT PHASE COMING UP: PHASE III - DRILLING GLASS HOLES IN THE NANO CUBE FOR BULKHEADS AND PLUMBING TO EXTERNAL SUMP FOR INTERCHANGE OF WATER WITH STAND-ALONG BIO CUBE, SERVING AS A DEDICATED REFUGIUM.

#13 ·
project progress

Hi, like yourself I am trying to set up my 18x18x18 tank so I can have a external sump but I am finding that most pipework on offer is ok for the much larger tanks and looks I little over the top for the nano tank set up and also the sump I want to use is about 12x9x9 ive made the compartments for refugium, protein skimmer, bubble trap and return pump, I bought a pump for returning the water back to the tank and found that with the smallest piping and connectors available 22mm, the pump I bought 100lph just could not push the water up the pipework being a very small pump. I would rather find a way of using smaller gauge piping than a larger pump that may be too strong for a nano tank ? I was just wondering how you are getting on with your project ?:arg:

#15 ·
Howdy, all. Sorry for not responding. I'm seldom on this site, anymore. The dual-aquarium setup worked fine, but was disbanded. I wanted a bigger tank with greater capacity. I now have a 75-gallon reef aquarium. In hindsight, using one of the twin cubes as a dedicated refugium was lame. It was an eyesore and not as efficient in removing nirates as is the algae turf scrubber in the sump beneath my 75-gal on aquarium.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.