The Reef Tank banner

20 gallon

Tags
20 gallon
2K views 19 replies 4 participants last post by  amberdon 
#1 ·
hey guys,
i have a 20 gallon tank iv been planning for 2 seahorses, however i think i changed my mind because my tank is too small. i would like to get some pixies but now my tank is too big. my question is, can i get a devider, do a 5 gallon section with grass etc. for my horses, and keep my cleaning crew, corals etc in the other side? :rolleyes:

#6 ·
Penguin's generally do a pretty good job rippling across the top of the water rather than forcing their flow down into the water, if that's the case it should be find, same with the skimmer.

I would test it. You can do this by taking a bit of styrofoam, a non-lead weight of some sort and a bit of fishing line. Tie the foam to the weight, then place the rig into your tank and see how much the foam is buffeted by the current. Horses tend to like a gentle sway rather than a harsh current.

#10 ·
I Had A 10 Gallon With Live Rocks Small Marineland Filter And 2 Seahorses And A Watchmen Golby..i Had A Heater And A Small Power Comapct For Lights..i Paid 10 Bucks For The Pair From A Old Man Who Had One Of The Best Prices On Everything In Town... This Was Several Years Ago ...now Thir 80 And 90 Bucks Each..i Remember Feeding Them Brine And Glass Shrimp With Tweezers ..i Had Them For Allmost A Year ! Then Hurrican Came And I Put A Battery Pump In The Tank ..took The Wifes And The Kids To My Moms Witch Stayed With Power ..when I Got Home The Batter Pump Stoped Working And Everything Was Done ! The Pump Jamed Or Something Cuz I Turned It Off Then Back On And It Worked Fine !! Never Had Seahorses Sence But I Would Love To !

#16 ·
Yeah what site is that? Sounds pretty cheap. Another option is to use a sponge filter and just live sand, not that there is enough flow to get a good amount of bacteria on the sand but....

Man, i have a 5 g acrylic that would be perfect for them. tall tank, but wonder how many BBS you have to hatch a day for them.

#14 ·
i plan on ordering from seahorsecorral.com, they have colored dwarfs too! the shipping is where they get u, because of the weight of the water. if u call to order they can give you cheaper shipping offers. my setup is a 20 gallon with a penguin 100 hob filter, and a rio nano skimmer. i plan to put a divider up and block a 5 or 6 gallon section for the horsies with different macro algae's etc. then i can keep my corals, filters, and cleaning crew on the oposite side of them.

#17 ·
ya for dwarfs i dont want to go over 10 gallons, its too big for the amount of horses i will be keeping, its nice to be able to increase the size of my tank incase they have babies. also i have alveopora coral and some mushrooms, including a hairy mushroom which is a no no for dwarfs. i have also heard little crabs are bad too. i also have liverock with Hydroid polyps which sting and can kill dwarfs. the liverock can be treated for Hydroid polyps, but i figure i'll just keep all of those things on the other side of the devider, that way i get to keep all of them in 1 tank :)

#19 ·
Petsmart sells the small acrylic freshwater kits that would be perfect if you don't want to take out the stuff in your current tank and just set up a designated horse tank. Just junk the filter and add a $2 sponge filter. I think mine is a unigue shape that is maybe 14" on the back coming out 5 inches angling 45 degrees in with a 6 inch front about 14 inches tall. All seemless acrylic so there is no bad viewing window. Small enough to set on the kitchen table pretty cheap. I think i only paid $20 for the kit. Weekly waterchanges would be enough that you wouldn't need any kind of filter or skimmer. I was just looking at live marine plants that might work in that system for their hitching posts. Doesn't look like the lighting will be enough for that though. Man, it's always exciting getting into something new to research and cost analysis. I figure the whole setup with 3 pair horses is only gonna cost a little over $100. Not bad for another thing to clean.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.