The Reef Tank banner

Bubble Anemone Dying

8K views 21 replies 11 participants last post by  chineseknife 
#1 ·
Help... my new bubble anemone looks like it is dying. It is all deflated and flat with the tips turning grey.... mouth appear to be wide open!

My perimaters are good, I'm running 65W PC for 9 hours a day with good flow. Feeding cycle I'm not too sure on... need help!

It's been inmy tank since Saturday... moved from the front of thank twards the back within a days or so... today I turned the rock around to check it out and it wasn't good.

Any advice or suggestions.

#2 ·
How big is the tank? If it was "healthy" at the LFS it should still look ok even only under 65w and without eating. Was it well acclimated?
What are your tank parameter?
It should be fed "meaty" food 2-3x week

#4 ·
It looked great from the LFS... Acclimated for 60 minutes (15, 15, 15 and 15)!

My tank is a 20 tall with plenty of flow AC110 + jet 900. It has been establised for goingo n 7 months and my salinity level is 1.024! did water change 2 days before bring home... clown fish are healthy, snails and crabs are as well.

Haven't been feeding much... could be my problem. Or at least a part of it... whats should I be feeding it? Brine shrimp? "rea" shrimp?

#6 ·
you can feed silversides, raw shrimp, krill also. Is it still attached to the rock? If so try moving the entire rock up as high as you can and then offer food. You may have to stand there and hold the food at its mouth to entice it. Don't shove it in the mouth. Normally they sense the food and start taking it in in no time. Make sure the fish don't take the food from it. They will also deflate when they exchange water from their bodies. It shouldn't stay deflated more than a few hours. Sometimes they just need time to adjust. It is a good sign if it has attached.

#8 ·
We had two BTAs. One died and one lived, although the one we still have isn't thriving. We have it under MH lights and feed it several times a week, and it's hosting a clown, but even still.

I never would have purchased one had I known better! Call it a novice mistake. :(

Anyway, keep a close eye on it, if it turns to a blob of jelly siphon it out so it doesn't polute your tank. We caught our dead one just in the nick of time and siphoned it out. That was one of the worst smells I ever encountered. My boyfriend nearly lost his lunch on the livingroom carpet!

#10 ·
High in the tank can I put it, or should I ask how close to my light is too close? I have 65w PC... would 6 inches from the top of the tank be too close? I actaully havea small shelves available for it there.

Just starting to panic... don't want to lose it :(

#16 ·
Depends on how big the bta is. I usually go with a piece the size of the mouth when closed. They can open it up pretty big, but it's a good way to estimate the size of food they can eat. My carpet can eat a whole shrimp but he is about 6-8 inches in diameter.

#17 ·
How big is your tank? I had a 55 gal that successfully housed a BTA with 4 65watt pc. He planted himself about halfway in the tank. What I found out was he expeled all his water out about 2 times a day when I got him and he looked bad when doing this, almost like he was dieing. Is this what you are talking about?

#19 ·
Tank is a 20g tall...

I decided to leave him towards the bottom/mid of the tank. The rock which he is attached to will not fit on the shelve I have planned on. I have fed a few small pieces of shirimp, not appearing to be eating them though.

Started to swell/inflate again, still lack of color! Lights are out in the tank now... BTA seems to have alomost maximzed size even with the lights out.

I'll up date tomorrow on TA status. Thanks again :)

#20 ·
Great news... my BTA is alive and well :) It appears a good healthy shrimp meal might have done the trick. On top of that... as previously stated I left it on the bottom of the tank since it was attached to a nice piece of rock. sometime i the night it moved... straight to the top of the tank :O

I fed it another small meal this evening of Krill... gone in no time! Looks like we are moving in the right direction again :)

Thank you everyone for you help.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.