The Reef Tank banner

Little Stupid things You May/Maynot need to know!!

3K views 35 replies 21 participants last post by  icebear 
#1 ·
Though I would start this thread. Thought it would be fun to list those silly, stupid, obvious or not so obvious questions, as random as they may be; someone out there might find usefull. So feel free to chime in and lets see how many things we can/can't learn.

Length X Width X Height of your tank with give you a Cubic Volume in ft (you have to convert inches to feet)...You now have a cubic foot volume (ft^3). If you take that number and multiply it by 7.48 (which is how many gallons there are in a cubic foot) you will end up getting the size of your tank in gallons... (L' X W' X H') x 7.48 = gals. of your tank

#4 ·
A good pair of ***** (preferablly stainless ones) is usefull for fragging about everything.

If you think you have enough super glue buy more.

Everytime you buy threaded pipe fittings, buy pipe tape,.. you'll never find the tape you used last time.

Silicone works good on threaded fittings if you didn't follow the above rule.

Nothing is as usefull in life as a clear head,.. if your drunk, it can wait till tomorrow.

Work will only let you call in for leaks every so often,.. so make up some good excuses now.

Whatever you get, get two,.. that backup will come in handy at one point.

If you don't have enough money to buy two,.. make friends with somebody who does, and use the same equiptment he's got.

Whiskey

#6 ·
salt water rusts everything, almost instantly, so whatever you have laying around, make sure its junk already!

its not a good idea to touch a MH light with your elbow while your fishing that frag out from under a rock, you will ALWAYS drop the frag in a much more hard to reach area.

#7 ·
Equipment ONLY fails when you're on vacation.

Things only die when you aren't there watching.

The size of the creature that perishes is directly proportional to the "degree of difficulty" in retrieving it once it does perish.

There is no such thing as a "small" flood. Once you think you've cleaned up all the water, you'll find more. It's kind of like finding pine needles from your Christmas tree in July.

The cheaper fish always wins in a fight. (We had a client once that bought 3 Helfrich Firefish @ $100 apiece, only to have a $5 Domino kill one in 2 minutes or less! NO he didn't tell us he had a damsel!)

I'm sure I'll think of more eventually...

Jenn

#16 ·
It is easier to ask for forgiveness, than permission ;) (to buy more corals, of course!)

Jenn

#19 ·
Really? I've never had problems... I'd guess the clam(s) was/were on the way out. Nassarius are great cleaner-uppers.

Jenn

#22 ·
And Febreeze will cause you to have to buy new livestock - it will kill yours.

It can kill birds too.

Jenn

#23 ·
For an easier to use tank volume (or sump volume) calculator that doesn't require you to first convert from inches to feet try:

L x W x H / 231 = volume

48 x 18 x 24 / 231 = 89.77 or ~90gallons

I found this very helpful when designing my sump as I could easily figure out how small changes to the height of my baffles would affect my sump's overflow capacity.

#31 ·
When doing a DIY stand, tank and so on let the paint dry on the stand completely before putting the tank on it. One day you might want to remove the tank one day :)

Tim
You need to mow your lawn :p

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.