The Reef Tank banner
9K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  Jaimbo 
#1 ·
Anybody use it for their nano here?? How will this make my life easier?? does it automatically dose the aquarium when necessary.... It looks like a protein skimmer. I'm stone cold clueless here. I've just completed my HOB refugium and i'm ready for a new gadget. JB

#2 ·
Look on the sponser board and go to My Reef Creations. I think he has a nano reactor.

Having one makes my life alot easier, but I couldnt see putting one on a small tank.

There is a guy on Reef Central that has one on a nano. He goes by Lunchbucket you might want to drop him a line.

Robbie

#3 ·
Calcium reactors tend to pump alot of calcium into a tank. On a Nano you would have to tune it down so much it might really be hard to get that little bit of calium output.

Maybe is somebody made a very minature version but even then I'm not sure it could be made to output that little bit of calcium. And on top of that it puts a very low pH effluent water into your tank so in that little bit of water you might have more trouble w/ pH.

In my 7 Minibow I use Kent CB (two part calcium/alk addative). I dose 1.5ml of both part A and B every day. At that rate the 16 oz bottles I have are going to last a very long time.

I understand the nedd for gadgets --- just might want to pick a different project --- how about auto-topoff for a gadget project --- you could then use KALK water and sort of accomplish the same thing only killing two birds w/ one stone.

Charles

Maybe we could get Andy to move this into the Nano Forum where it might get a little more play from Nano minded people.

#6 · (Edited)
OK I guess

I used to have a 10 gal reef with all the big tank trimmings --- I didn't cionsider it a Nano --- just a micro reef.

To me a Nano has to be almost nothing in the setup. No sump, no skimmer, no reactor, no refugium ---- almost nothing --- tank, circulation (maybe HOB for carbon), lighting, and heater --- thats it --- just weekly water changes and a bare minimum of additions.

If it's more complicated than your big tank --- is it really a Nano or just a mico

of course that is all JMNSHO

P.S. Thanks for moving it --- seems like a better place for this thread. And glad I now know about the Nano reactors. You should keep me informed of these things ;)

#8 ·
Don't get me wrong --- I definatly understand Gadget Fever.

Since the late 80's when I started up my first reef I have owned just about every different type of gadget you could imagine. (Even Ozone injection into a skimmer w/ a redox controller ---- LOL ---- many years ago ---- and a recent MyReef calcium reactor on my big tank)

I guess i got cured of the gadget fever cause my nano has nothing and I like it that way. Much simpler and easier maintenance.

#9 ·
Thanks everyone! I tested my calcium about a wk. ago and it was around 400 so i guess that's ok. My concern is that i may be getting a false test result b/c of inexperience. I noticed nice, constant coraline growth for about two months (tank up for 5 mos or so) and then it seems like it just stopped. I thought maybe this was due to a calcium deficiency. I bought some EVS or ESV B-Ionic or something like that i just haven't a clue about how to use it. I also have a bottle of calcium buffer (powder) that was given to me, it has beginner instructions and instructions for advanced users who can test the water and somehow get a dosing regimen from the readings. My ph is around 8.5 but fluctuates with the lighting cycle. Anywho..... i'm babbling.... i think i may hold off on the nano reactor til i get my 29 gallon cycled. That auto top-off is a good suggestion i'm just worried about coming home to a flooded floor. (i'm not gadget savvy unfortunately) Thanks all, JB

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.