The Reef Tank banner

Just got used tank in horrible condition: rehab or start fresh?

1K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  jalexuk 
#1 ·
I just bought a used 14g biocube on craigslist. The lightbulbs have been dead for months and they didn't even have a filter going in it. It has 2 hermit crabs, HUNDREDS of snails and maybe some inverts that i haven't seen. No corals appear to be alive.

The tank is covered with cyanobacteria and bubble algae among other strange algaes.

Should I toss everything in the ocean and start fresh? Should I try to rehab what's in this tank?

WWYD?

#3 ·
Yeah I was thinking the same thing. It's got some hermit crabs (their child must have caught them at the beach and put them in) alive...should I put them back in the ocean? I feel kind of weird putting anything captive into the wild (invasive species and such) but i'm pretty sure these are local fauna

#5 ·
I'm a newbie to salt water so I'm probably going to ask a couple of obvious/stupid questions :). I'm a Biologist and have always wanted to give a salt water tank a try. This tank I have did not come with any type of instruction manual so i am a little confused about how things should be set up inside the tank.

Where should I place the protein skimmer? Should I replace the media inside this used protein skimmer so as not to re-introduce damaging bacteria/algae? If so where would I find replacement media?

I purchased Biocube filter cartridges...the kind like for a freshwater tank with activated carbon. Are these appropriate for a salt water tank? If so, where are they supposed to go because I can't figure it out for the life of me :)

I have seen many places it is wise to remove all of the bioballs and replace with live rock. Has anyone done this? Should i remove ALL of the bioballs or just half?

I was planning on disinfecting this tank with a 5-10% bleach solution before attempting to start fresh. Is this an appropriate sanitation solution for a salt water tank?

I think that's all for now...thanks everybody!

And if someone could explain to me the filter cartridge/protein skimmer situation that would be awesome (preferably with pics? haha) thank you!!

#6 ·
I would try to find a good local saltwater shop near you (privately owned, not a chain). Quite honestly, they want you to be successful and they will usually take the time to steer new hobbyists in the right direction. Sometimes it's just better to see stuff in person rather than a picture on the internet. Or find a local club near you, I am fortunate here in the Raleigh area as we have some great locals. Good luck to you.

#10 ·
im glad somebody raised that point. Never put things in the ocean from our tanks. Read up on the florida lion fish problem like fat tony said, its not just the live stock that could have dramatic effects on the eco system but algae too, there are places in the world where people introduced micro bacteria into the ocean with devestating consequences. Now about the tank- you could keep some of the critters and start a fresh but personally i would start from scratch- sand and all. Replace the media in the protein skimmer, you can find replacement media in any good LFS and if you have a sump, put the skimmer in that- If its a hang on skimmer find a suitable place on the back. The carbon- you dont need it, frequent water changes, good light and flow are all a healthy reef tank needs. I havent had experience with bio balls, i dont use them however i have a successful colourful reef tank with both sps and soft corals so that says to me you dont need them either. I wouldnt bleach the tank just use a little vinegar / RO water solution and clean it up with that, Then rinse with RO water to ensure all vinegar etc is removed. Good luck!

#9 ·
I have actually helped hunt lionfish in Honduras...i understand :). I chucked all the dead rock in the dumpster and rescued the 6 hermit crabs and 1 turbo snail living in there. The turbo snail died and the hermit crabs ate him, and I found the hermies a nice home with a family with a 55 gallon reef tank on craigslist. I have the tank soaking in 50:50 vinegar right now to get rid of the dead coralline algae that was covering the back wall...the filtration mod (media basket/chemipure/purigen/filter floss) and extra power head are en route scheduled to be delivered monday :).

I am ordering live rock from Marcorocks.com. Anyone had any experience with this company?

Also I am going to start the tank with this sand: http://www.amazon.com/Natures-Ocean-Aragonite-Sand/dp/B003K72COM

I have a 10lb bag and was going to use the bag. It is like the consistency of crushed coral but it is aragonite. Is this okay?

thanks!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.