Need some coast to coast over flow advise - Page 2 - The Reef Tank

Go Back   The Reef Tank > Reef Discussion Forums > The THINK Tank
Register

Old 10-09-2015, 10:05 AM   #16
Meske
Plankton

Thanks for that bit of advise. I have mine in already, 6' tank I had overflow cut 1/4" short giving me 1/8 silicone on each end. Do you think I will need more gap? Tank is not stocked yet.
Meske is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-13-2015, 05:19 PM   #17
Fdawg
Little Fishy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff View Post
when using acrylic that is going to be submerged for extended periods of time give it some expansion room. it will increase in length. when i built my C2C overflow i had to take it out several months later because it had swelled and started bowing causing some of the seams to break loose. this was with 1/4" acrylic. my current C2C is also doing this. it has swelled enough that it bows nearly a 1/4". when i made the C2C it was cut exactly the same length as the tank.

G~
Interesting...
Old 04-27-2016, 03:20 PM   #18
Ted_C
Little Fishy

in practice - this is how that overflow box came out. For every bulkhead - I have 3 viton rings. One at the acrylic / bulkhead interface. One at the acrylic internal / glass interface. One at the glass/external box interface. I could have a 4th at the bulkhead / nut interface - but I'm not sure I can use this as it doesn't really align or seal when I tighten it up.

Ted_C is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-09-2017, 09:32 PM   #19
Wopadobop
Zombie Maker

perfect!

Wopadobop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 06:19 AM   #20
Ted_C
Little Fishy

in action (sort of) - this was the water test I performed just last week:

FTS:
Ted_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 02:36 PM   #21
Wopadobop
Zombie Maker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff View Post
when using acrylic that is going to be submerged for extended periods of time give it some expansion room. it will increase in length. when i built my C2C overflow i had to take it out several months later because it had swelled and started bowing causing some of the seams to break loose. this was with 1/4" acrylic. my current C2C is also doing this. it has swelled enough that it bows nearly a 1/4". when i made the C2C it was cut exactly the same length as the tank.

G~
Acrylic expands and contracts much more than glass. If it was a perfect a fit into a large tank 1/4 inch bow is not that much if the temperature it was built at in the shop or garage was even 10 degrees cooler than the tanks operating temp. good advise though. i try not to cut anything exact that is made from two different materials.

Wopadobop is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
coast to coast overflow